This is one of the books that has been sitting next to my bed for over a year, and I finally took the time to read it. Well ... I hate to say it, but I was disappointed. Richard Peck is a young adult author who is usually very funny, and there were moments in this book that made me laugh. The high point for me was the epitaph on the librarian's headstone, from which the book's title came: "ELECTRA DIETZ, 1851-1912, SHH, HERE LIES THE LIBRARIAN, After years of service, tried and true, Heaven stamped her -- OVERDUE." But mostly the story -- about the coming of age of a young girl in rural Indiana and her brother's quest to win a local stock car race -- seemed kind of disjointed and half-baked.
If you'd care to read some books by Richard Peck, A Long Way from Chicago (a Newbery honor book,) A Year Down Yonder (which won the 2000 Newbery award,) or The Teacher's Funeral: A Comedy In Three Parts are all a lot of fun. He also wrote The River Between Us, a poignant mystery set during the Civil War.





6 comments:
I'm not sure why, but there is a certain pleasure in reading a negative book review. Sorry for you, but I guess it comes with the territory now that you are a librarian.
ALMOST a librarian.
This is an author who is new to me, I will add him to my list, thanks for the recommendation and the pan.
Speaking of books about librarians, ALCATRAZ VERSUS THE EVIL LIBRARIANS by Brandon Sanderson comes to mind. It was recommended on NPR one day and I checked it out. The voice is hilarious, but I felt like the plot fell apart in the end.
Librarians secretly manipulate us by controlling the information we receive. Oh, yeah, and that's the theme of the book, too.
His name came up at our department meeting yesterday. Thanks for these ideas: we need some lighter, funnier fare for our 8th grade list.
QD -- You also need some Terry Pratchett! (I'll bet you could have guessed THAT was coming.)The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents.
Post a Comment