Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spring is Springing!

Our massive piles of snow have been melting quickly in +40˚ temperatures. As soon as the snow was gone, the crocuses pushed up, and yesterday I saw the first ones blooming, right next to the foundation of our house. This morning I saw my first robin. Right now I'm watching a couple of lbj's (little brown jobs, a.k.a. sparrows) looking like they are building a nest. Oh yeah, and the ultimate sign of spring: roadkill possums. They wake up. They go looking for food. They get hit by cars.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I love robins and rarely ever see them this far south. How wonderful to see this harbinger of spring! In contrast, it's HOT here, which is nice for the spring breakers.

Ed said...

While at the bark park today I heard sandhill cranes (didn't see them, though) another sign of spring in these parts.