Sunday, March 02, 2008

Book Review: Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

(Cross-posted at the Spring Reading Challenge)
This was a fun little book: half parodying and half riding the wave of the Harry Potter phenomenon. Alcatraz Smedrey is an orphan, booted from foster home to foster home all of his life. They never work out because he has a propensity for breaking things. On his 13th birthday he receives a birthday present ... from his father, and his grandfather Leavenworth Smedrey shows up to help Alcatraz claim his birthright. To say much more would ruin the story, so I won't. It was a quick read, with many places where I laughed out loud. I do have to say, I was tickled by the idea of evil librarians. Thanks to my friend Sminthia for recommending it to me.

3 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Looks like an interesting read. Thanks for the review.

Jan said...

This looked good over in the Spring Challenge. And you've reminded me of it again, so maybe I'll have to find it and read it. Then if it's good, all my kids, grown though they are, will want it, too.Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Suzy,

Your writing is so fluid!

It's exciting to think of hip, laughing, school librarians. I'm still stuck in the Hollywood-induced stereotype of dour women with unflattering haircuts.