Thursday, April 24, 2008

FUTK



Tonight I belatedly got around to watching Shut Up & Sing, a 2006 film that documents the three years after Dixie Chick Natalie Maines' infamous comment in London in 2003. I watched the first half of the movie with my heart in my mouth: so many celebrities spoke out initially and then backed down in fear of losing their careers, their commercial sponsors, etc.

Natalie never backed down. It was inspiring to watch her meet the animosity with dignity and grace. She stood up, not only to her critics, but to well-meaning friends and associates who all just wanted her to shut up and sing.

It was also very moving to see the unified front that the band presented to the world. Whatever private emotions any of them entertained late at night, they were there for each other with a remarkable amount of love and respect.

I have to say, the film made me very sad, a mixture of grief over all that we have lost and shame for what has been done in our names, both here and abroad. It exposes the incredible ugliness that, in my mind, marks the last 7 1/2 years in this country. The stupidity and small-minded downright mean-ness of people took my breath away. There were threats on their lives, for God's sake!

I was reminded of so many people who should have known better, who felt that we had to stand behind "our president" in those early days following 9/11 and leading up to the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq.

The film ends on a great note, with the Dixie Chicks back in London, playing to a sold out arena, and Natalie Maines stands on the stage and says, "I am embarrassed that the president of the United States is from Texas." That's when I wanted to stand up and cheer.

I recommend this film. It was made by Barbara Kopple, who also made the acclaimed Harlan County USA.

7 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Sounds interesting but I know hubby wont watch it with me. But thanks for the review.

Sorghum Crow said...

Awesome review. I'll put it on my list.

Suzie Ridler said...

I loved it! I loved every second of it and my heart went out to the band. I think her bravery and refusal to shut up was so amazing to witness and their fears were real. It's crazy to think that one political comment like that could potentially ruin a career and their lives and cost them physical violence. What has happened to our world? What happened to free speech in your country?

Suzy said...

People are quick to say "Freedom isn't free," (whatever that means) or "There are consequences to free speech." What free speech means to me is, the right to speak without being threatened by anyone ... even if they absolutely hate what you're saying. If you are threatened for what you say, you don't have free speech.

Distributorcap said...

i love natalie maines!

if only more celebs actually put themselves out there.....

QuakerDave said...

Terrific movie.

And Natalie is my hero.

poodledoc said...

wow