Note: This post contains references to God and expressions of faith. I consider myself to be agnostic. While I am certain of the existence of something that resides in and beyond myself, that connects me with all of this world, because of my upbringing I am not comfortable referring to it as "God." Sometimes I refer to "spirit" or to the term used by a dear old Friend, Francis Hole: "Divine Companion." Sometimes I just sort of mumble something incoherently or borrow a god from Terry Pratchett.I was not brought up a Friend, and in fact worship and prayer were never a part of my life experience until I began attending Quaker Meeting 16 years ago. I love Meeting for Worship, but I confess that sometimes I have a hard time centering down and calming my monkey mind. Therefore I will often bring a book of devotional readings with me to Meeting, which I know irritates some Friends no end, but there you have it. At least I don't knit! Or snore ...
Last Sunday I had one of my current favorite books with me, Catherine Whitmire's Practicing Peace: A Devotional Walk Through the Quaker Tradition. I find myself turning to this book quite often for guidance in navigating these troubled and disheartening times, when a world without war seems very far away. Whitmire talks about how, as Friends we are challenged to stand in the gap between the way things are and the way they could be. The writer/educator Parker Palmer puts it this way:
There is no easy solution. There never has been and there never will be. But we must learn to stand in this gap, faithfully holding the tension and negotiating between what is and what is possible. (p. 30)Whitmire adds, "Through prayer and discernment we, too, can know in which gaps God would have us stand. Our efforts may feel unimportant, but nothing is too small to make a difference ... It is important that we climb God's holy hill and stand in the social, political, and spiritual gaps of our time, not only because God calls us, but because there is no one else to go." [my italics]
I find myself yearning for a leader, another Gandhi or King, who will make big waves and bring about another social and political revolution. I am discouraged when no one appears. The fact is, we have to be the ones to carry that torch. Each of us has the capacity to plant those seeds, to bring about change. We have to, because there is no one else to do it.
Thomas R. Kelly said,
No giant figure of historic size will stalk across the stage of history today, as a new Messiah. But in simple, humble, imperfect people like you and me wells up the spring of hope. We have this treasure of the seed in earthen vessels -- very earthen vessels. You and I know how imperfect we are. Yet those little demonstrations of love and goodwill ... deeds done in the midst of suffering ... stir hope that humanity as a whole will be aroused to yield to the press and surge of the Eternal Love within them ... (p. 31)How am I minding the gap, and working for a peaceful and just world?
(The photo above was taken in London last month by my friend Vicki, who minds the gap by working to get military recruiters out of our local schools. Used by permission.)





5 comments:
We need to give up on the idea that someone is going to come from somewhere and lead us. I, for one, am tired of waiting, and I'm not sure I want to be led, by anyone other than God.
We don't need leaders. WE need to lead.
Suzy i have to admit I dont always believe in a god either. I never had it in my life until almost two years ago in July when Jeff and I decided to start going to church and then quit because the Pastor started telling me and Jeff how we had to dress and what us girls could or couldnt do with our hair.
tweety: Just remember - no pastor really speaks for God.
If you're ever in Jersey, come to Meeting with me. You can wear whatever you want, and - get this - everybody's equal!
Suzy, I love the picture with the thoughts and quotes. It's even better because a friend of yours took it.
Even though I classify myself as a "Christian," I have similar thoughts about God as you do. Plus, how you expressed yourself gives me hope for my daughter in Seattle who dislikes intensely the word "God."
And your book sounds like another one I need to read. Thanks. And thanks for expressing yourself so well.
Tweetey -- and the next time you're in Madison (which might be sooner than when you're in NJ) we'll get together and you can come to my Meeting if you'd like.
It looks like I may be in your neck of the woods in June for the Garden Fair.
Post a Comment