Thursday, April 03, 2008

Heckuva Job

I finally made some time to watch When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts, Spike Lee's documentary film about Hurricane Katrina. There is not much I can say that has not already been said about the utter lack of caring and inhumanity on the part of government, that marked the event and its aftermath. (I have a personal example of that failure to act. My nephew was in the Air National Guard, finishing up his basic training near Biloxi, when Katrina hit. I thought for sure that he would be sent somewhere on the Gulf Coast to help with the disaster. No, it was far more important for his unit to finish up training so they could be shipped out to the Middle East -- in his case, Kuwait -- for a year.)

I don't know a lot about the making of the film, but from the film footage I gather that Lee or his associates were on the ground filming in New Orleans from before the time the hurricane made landfall. I'd seen some of the stock footage before, but he had so much more.

Lee also does a good job of putting the catastrophe into historical and sociological context. Race and class issues surely played into it, but I think that Harry Belafonte hit the nail on the head when he said the first thing that kept the Bush administration from acting was "the arrogance of power." Power corrupts, always. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I believe it corrupts ones heart and soul, making empathy nonexistent.

For me, almost the worst part about it is that the cover-up began almost immediately and continues to this day. It was so effectively swept under the carpet. I think it was writer Bob Harris who said something about one of the major cities in the U.S. being washed off the map and nobody cared. I would guess that, as far as the average person on the street is concerned, everything is back to normal in New Orleans and the surrounding area. Why was so little attention paid to it, once the waters receded?

If you have not had a chance to see When the Levees Broke, it is a must-see. I'll warn you, it is not light entertainment and it is not pretty. Some of it is downright gruesome, and it will probably rile you up. But it is so important that people were there, bearing witness, so others can know about it. Like the Holocaust, like My Lai, like 9/11 and all the other greater and lesser human-made tragedies, I think that the very least someone like me can do is to acknowledge it. Yes, it happened. Yes, we remember.

11 comments:

Ed said...

You can bet that, had the devastation been the result of a "tairist attack," americans would have been bombarded by those images. As it is, the media has done a pretty good job of allowing people to forget, assuming they even knew what was really happening in the first place.

Jess Wundrun said...

I think it was Brad Pitt (!) who said we need to remember that this wasn't a natural disaster. The problems in NOLA were from the failure of the levees.

We always say "Hurricane Katrina". I wish we'd have immediately called it "Bush's Flood". They were two very distinct things.

I haven't seen the documentary yet but I will look for it.

Terry said...

Thanks Suzy. I will look for it too.

Terry

poodledoc said...

hmmm, but there's 3.4 BILION for restoring the power grid in Iraq? What's wrong with this picture?

Suzie Ridler said...

I am so glad Spike Lee did this documentary. I think he's the right person to expose the lack of compassion and aid that went towards the Katrina victims and expose the racism. I don't know if my heart could handle watching it but I know my mind wants to.

Ginnie said...

A good post, Suzie, and I will definitely see it. I am so disgusted with this administration and all the havoc they have wreaked on all of us. The Katrina fiasco is horrible but just one more example of their complete disregard for the "common folk".

Anonymous said...

Seen it, loved it, made me hate our administration even more.

tweetey30 said...

Wow. I have goosebumps reading this. I havent seen it yet but its a sad thing to remember with all those people losing there homes because of it. I have seen on Tv that people are still waiting for homes from Feema and such and some of those homes are infested with mold and other things. Very sad.

Suzy said...

Losing their homes AND lives. As I said, it's not pretty. And it was so willfully carried out. Just so unspeakable.

Cinderbelle said...

I have a deep respect for Spike Lee. Everything I've seen of his so far, from documentaries to feature films to introductions for his favorite movie ("Ace in the Hole" directed by Billy Wilder) have proven him to be an intelligent, caring individual. Thank God for people like him in the film industry, and Thank God that more of them are starting to speak out.

Distributorcap said...

suzy

thanks for the review

i have my issues with Lee - but he is an intelligent, thorough and sharp director and writer -- and he is the one to bring this issue up again.

you cna rest assured it NOLA was a republican city like Houston with a lot of white people -- this movie would never have been needed to be made