Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy Solstice ...

... from a bunch of little kids (a.k.a. Fairport Convention, circa 1970. Don't you just want to pinch their youthful cheeks?)


"Now Be Thankful"

9 comments:

poodledoc said...

Nice, thanks! Happly solstice to you!

I was trying to pick out the young Richard Thosmpson. Wow, they are just babies......

Suzy said...

He's the curly-haired guitar player who has his eyes closed almost the whole time.

Ed said...

I'd never heard this song before. It's a great example of those asymmetrical old english melodies of which I'm very fond.

Verse: 1st line = 12 beats, 2nd line = 10 beats (kind of weird), 3rd line = 15 beats (extra weird).

Chorus: 1st & 2nd lines = 12 beats each. 3rd line = 16 beats.

16 beat interlude.

Repeat.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing it.

Suzie Ridler said...

Happy Solstice Suzy!

QuakerDave said...

Man, now that's what I call a hair band.

And I had all their albums, back when they were still called "albums." {{sigh}}

Happy day, all.

Pam said...

The summer solstice is my wedding anniversary... we picked the longest day of the year to celebrate our love.

Suzy said...

Pam, what a great anniversary!

The funny thing was, when I was looking for a solstice song to post, most of them were about the winter solstice.

Ed, I love English folk music.

QD, take a gander over at Enriched Geranium for a different kind of solstice song. I know you'll appreciate it.
http://enrichedgeranium.blogspot.com/2008/06/happy-solstice.html

Suzie, I was thinking of you all day yesterday.

Suzy said...

And BTW, Ed -- just in case you were bristling when I said they were cute. They remind me of the boys I went to high school with, like ... you. For example.

tweetey30 said...

They are good. Hope you are enjoying your summer as best you can..