I have my dander up this morning about school vouchers. It all started with an article that Quaker Dave posted about an ill-conceived safety lesson at a California high school. Dave's post generated a plethora of comments, one from a Quaker gentleman saying in effect that, this illustrates a failure of public schools and perhaps it is time for liberals to get behind school choice and vouchers.
What's so wrong with vouchers? Where do I begin? In any public school, from the wealthiest suburban school to the poorest inner city school you have a range of parents, from those with the resources and wherewithal to advocate for their children and support the school community in general, to those that can't and don't for whatever reason. When vouchers to attend private schools are made available, what happens is that a percentage of those parents who are active in a school community -- no matter what its socio-economic status -- are skimmed off the top leaving all the rest to fend for themselves. Furthermore, when they go, a chunk of money goes with them. Of course this impacts lower income schools far more profoundly than it does wealthier schools, because public school funding is absolutely not equitable.
I'm not flat-out opposed to private schools. As far as I am concerned, anyone can start their own private school for any reason. What I am opposed to and will be opposed to until the end of my days, is people who want state money for their children to attend private schools. That leaves an awful lot of children behind, in a very real sense.
I am fully aware that I am fortunate to live in a place where our public schools -- even the urban ones -- are relatively safe and kids get a good education. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think the availability of private schools (along with a severe lack of funding for ALL public schools in this country) has contributed to the disarray that many big city public school systems are in. (And as I write this, I am thinking specifically of Philadelphia and Quaker schools. I know that I will make people uncomfortable by saying that, but it is what I believe.)
Remember also, that vouchers that are available for Quaker schools and Waldorf schools and schools modeled on Summerhill, will also have to be available for attending schools that might teach religious fundamentalism, white supremacy, etc. etc. It would be opening a regular Pandora's box.
I don't buy the argument for a minute that "a voucher system is inevitable, so liberals need to get behind it." Is fascism inevitable, so liberals should get behind that too, maybe help create a kinder, gentler form of fascism? No, thanks.
We are living in a time when every form of public works is under assault from all directions. Public schools are no exception. As in all things emanating from the Right, follow the money. There are people who stand to profit mightily from the privatization (i.e. CORPORATIZATION) of public schools. Vouchers are on that spectrum (as are charter schools, which is another concept we liberals are supposed to get behind.)
And think about this: private (and charter) schools do not have hire unionized teachers. Teachers' unions do have their warts, but I'll tell you that teachers' unions are made up of real people, teachers, who are among the best advocates for children in this country.
Okay, let me wipe the froth from my mouth and put away my soapbox. You'd think, reading this, I wasn't on summer vacation!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Why do you hate America? If rich people don't get to send their children to a private school at tax payer expense, the terrorists have already won. If we don't take tax dollars away from public schools in order to fund the "Spare The Rod School of Intelligent Design" the terrorists have already won.
I stand in solidarity with you my sister.
School vouchers infuriate me.
When I was growing up in the 60's, in a very Catholic area (and we all know I remain very -albeit progressively so - Catholic today) and almost all of my closer friends went to Catholic school.
My parents often toyed with the idea, but in due respect they figured (they did do a few things right!) why pay for a lesser education?
At that time, the school district that I was in was rated one of the top in the nation.
The nuns were lovely and did a great job, but there was no comparison.
In this one instance of my life, my parents chose wisely.
There is nothing wrong- as you say, with private schools. However - not at public expense!
If you want a good case study in the demise of public schools, look at the NYC school system. Anyone with money sent their kids to private school and that was a problem.
It does not boil down to diversity alone - what really irks me is that the people who often have the loudest, meaning influential voices - in the school system, are those very parents who abandoned it in favor of private school for their kids.
On a different note, when I lived downstate near NYC, there were a few towns in which the town was made up predominantly of a particular religion. I am not saying this to be divisive, but to illustrate a point.
Anyway, in those towns, the opposite ass backwards happened... The people of that faith won the majority of seats on the schoolboard and then the schools started letting go of sports and arts in favor of other things.
Public schools are for everyone and should be the foundation of our society.
Deep sigh. Deep, deep sigh!
What supporters of vouchers for private and religious schools have to remember - and they always seem to forget this, go figure - is that with gov'ment money come gov'ment strings. You might have to teach to the same standards as the public schools and use the same state tests to assess student progress. That means science tests featuring eviloution. That means allowing special needs kids to attend your school. That means allowing kids of certain minority persuasions to attend your schools. And so on.
No, they just want the money. Nuh-uh.
I am all for allowing folks to homeschool their kids and to send them to private schools. At their personal expense. And if you live in my town, and you want all the benefits of living here - including the high property values that come with living in a town with superior schools - you pay your share of the school tax. Meaning all of it. Period.
Luminiferous,
You give me a lot to think about here. The exchange here is in strong voices, and my ideas are not well formed yet. I'll continue to explore the ideas that you presented. Thanks for this.
Caroline, if you care to read more about it, Google Jonathan Kozol, School Choice or check out one of his more recent books from the library. He is well educated and absolutely eloquent on the topic.
You go, Suzy!
When Milwaukee first started vouchers there were all kinds of crazy schools that popped up to take advantage of the 5 grand the vouchers brought with them. These schools didn't have to measure up to the same standards as the public schools!
I lived next door to one and it was insane how out of control it was. Fortunately, that school folded (as did many others that started the same way).
Public education can be fantastic. And it DOES need money thrown at it to be so. But the cons know that they can't continue much further with privatization until they've destroyed the public schools.
Yay Teachers!
Post a Comment