Friday, July 18, 2008

More Library Tales

I was shelving nonfiction books today and came across a book called The Lemming Migration. Ah yes, The Lemming Migration. I mentioned in the comments for my previous post that my school librarian -- we'll call her Miss McCarthy, shall we? -- was crabby crabby crabby. Maybe it's because my friends and I would take every chance we got to watch the Walt Disney movie of The Lemming Migration. We had these Super-8 viewers and film cartidges. The films were only about 5 minutes long, but you could watch them forwards and backwards. So we would watch the lemmings go of the cliff and plunge to their deaths in the icy water, and then we'd watch them all miraculously fly up out of the water and quickly back away from the cliff's edge, only to repeat it all over again. It was endlessly amusing to us. Not to Miss McCarthy though. Maybe it's because she suspected this about the movie.

As a former student of mine once said when she brought the severed duck feet in for Show & Tell: "Thome people might think thith ith kind of groth."

8 comments:

Ginnie said...

This common 'tater thinks that some people just can't relax and let kids be kids.

Anonymous said...

Watching the lemmings backward! The mental image cracks me up.

Suzy said...

Ginnie, I think the perceived loss of control scares a lot of teacher types.

DCup, I added you to my b'logroll. I hope that's okie-dokie.

QuakerDave said...

Wait. That critter in the picture... didn't I see him on YouTube?

poodledoc said...

Miss McCarthy? Any relation to Joe? He too, was crabby.

Anonymous said...

You knew how to have fun when you were a kid didn't you?

Suzy said...

QD -- That is one dramatic rodent!

PD -- I am actually a little embarrassed to identify the librarian in question by what may or may not be her real name, because she is still very much alive, and furthermore her daughter is a friend of my sister-in-law. But frankly, I did not gain either my love of books or my desire to join the field from her or any other school librarian with whom I came in contact as a kid.

Dr MvM -- You don't know the half of it. Those were the salad days.

Ricky Shambles said...

Thanks for your comments - you've got a nice place here. I taught HS English for a year in a NC county that contained a single high school. And that was enough. Bless you.

As for this post, I feel betrayed by Disney and the teachers who showed us the film in grade school. I think I read about this a couple years ago and packed it away. Thanks for yanking off the scab.