Monday, January 19, 2009

Musing

As we sit on the eve of Barack Obama's inauguration, I have mixed feelings. I think he has the potential to be a great leader -- in the best sense of the word -- and that gives me hope. I feel a profound sense of relief to be reaching the end of these 8 years that, at times, seemed endless. To Cheney, Bush, et al I echo the sentiment of Tom Tomorrow's Sparky the Penguin when I say, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!" But I remain angry that all of them are free now to retire to the leisurely life of the über-wealthy, mindless of the destruction they brought down globally, thanks in part to the absolute stubborn refusal of the Congressional Democrats to call them on their crimes.

Not to have taken any action was to allow them to continue their reign of terror, with impunity. I will always consider the majority of Congress from the last 8 years to have been complicit in the crimes of the Bush Administration. Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid top my list.

I recently read an essay by some columnist or other who stated that if the U.S. continues to refuse to investigate BushCo for war crimes, the rest of the world will do so. Nancy Pelosi is making noise now about a criminal investigation; I have little faith that it will happen, or if it does they'll find no improprieties in the last 8 years. So maybe being tried in the World Court is the best thing. They may not do prison time, but they'll officially be persona non grata throughout the rest of the world, unable to set foot on foreign soil to dine with the Queen, etc. etc.

This piece appeared on Daily Kos yesterday, and I have to say, in a Quakerly fashion, that it speaks to my condition. One last time (I'd like to think, in a wildly celebratory moment ) -- Jesus, I'm sick of these people!

6 comments:

Dave Schipper said...

He's a smart & good man to lead us... I don't think we've had one like that since Jimmy Carter.

One person can't change the world, but I believe one decision at a time he'll lead us pragmatically.

About all we can pray for.

Dave

Suzy said...

Yes. Last year when I saw Steve Earle, he told the audience that, no matter who is elected, the real work begins on January 21. Electing Obama is just the beginning, and we can't sit back and assume a free ride.

poodledoc said...

He's the president, not the savior, as someone rose in Meeting yesterday to share. But it's up to us to do the work and te help keep things on a better course, he added.

I like to think that Obama will listen more carefully (or will actually listen) unlike the Bush Gamg. But I'm unsure.

Queen Pelosi didn't do anything aobut the Bush crooks when he was in office. I can't believe she will do anything now.

The Bush crooks will be brought to justice, it just might not be in a way that we'll get to see. But I'd like to see it.

QuakerDave said...

As long as Pelosi and Reid are in charge in Congress, no one will go after the Bush/Cheney cabal.

I long for the day when I tune into the news, however, and see the cops from some other nation's government hauling one of their asses off a beach someplace, and "renditioning" them off to The Hague.

Not very Quakerly, but there it is.

lisahgolden said...

Accountability isn't an option, it's an obligation.

Suzy said...

PoodleD, I do like being called to do something other than go shopping.

Lisa, Yes, yes, yes! As the Kos writer says, any thug on the street can expect to be brought to trial if caught doing their thuggery. Someone robs a PDQ, and no one says, well we're looking forward not behind us so we'll do nothing. Especially if someone dies in the process; how many people have died because of the criminal policies as well as the criminal neglect of the Bush thugs?

Quaker Dave, I am most definitely with you. We all want to see justice served, I think.