Monday, January 05, 2009

Reading

My brother emailed me today, and was teasing me about reading Lord of the Rings (see my sidebar.) "Why?" he asked facetiously. "Didn't you see the movies?" I'm actually reading it for [only] the third time. I think it is a superbly written book, and reads more like history than fantasy.

However, I'm finding myself bogging down and reluctant to pick it up these last few days. I think that with Israel's incursion into Gaza and the growing civilian casualties, I am having a hard time stomaching reading about epic battles between good and evil forces, and war as the dominant paradigm.

I picked up a copy of Natalie Goldberg's Thunder and Lightning: Cracking Open the Writer's Craft at a used book store on Christmas eve. (I can't keep from going out and doing last minute shopping on that day, no matter how firm my resolve.) Tonight I abandoned LOTR (for the time being) and I read the introduction, where Natalie apologizes to her readers for misleading them down the writers' path in her first book Writing Down the Bones.

I had to laugh. I read -- and was profoundly moved by -- both Writing Down the Bones and Wild Mind a number of years ago. It was during a period of time that I have little desire to revisit. I was teaching in a program that was being dismantled all around me and struggling with changes that were being wrought in the field of education by the advent of "the standards movement" (the precursor to No Child Left Behind.) I was in a fog of grief over the death of my daughter, and trying to be a good mother to my other two young children. It was also during that time that my father died suddenly. And I had two unplanned pregnancies (using contraceptives, just in case you are inclined to comment on that,) both of which I chose to terminate. There were days when I came home from work and literally curled up in a dark room with my fingers in my ears to block out all sensory experiences. My well was dry.

That's when I turned to writing practice, first Natalie Goldberg's books and then to Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way. I got up every morning and wrote for 30 minutes. I filled notebooks with a lot of unhappiness (or so I remember; I can't bring myself to go back and reread any of it now.) I drew a lot of little sheep, because I really wanted to pursue fiber arts.

Thankfully, something shifted. The fog lifted. I fell back in love with teaching. I found ways to integrate my desire to write and to create art, with the rest of my life. So it is amusing to pick up Natalie Goldberg once again, and have her say, "Don't go down this path! It will only lead to suffering! All art leads to suffering!!"

I'll keep reading. I might even write a book review when I'm done.

10 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Suzy you have had it rough and I am glad to have met you. I hope you havea wonderful 2009 my friend.. Maybe sometime we can meet.

Fran said...

Oh my. Oh my.

You write very eloquently Suzy, you truly do.

And Natalie Goldberg, oh yes- Natalie Goldberg.

All art leads to suffering - and yet doesn't art redeem? There is the rub.

lisahgolden said...

When you are done, will you tell me if I should read the book?

I admit, other than Stephen King's book on writing and an old book call The Courage to Create, I have avoided (consciously? subconsciously?) books about the creation of art, creativity and writing. I don't know why. Maybe because I'm afraid if I think about it too much, I'll realize that I have no creative/artistic talent?

Please - will you let me know what you think of the book?

Jan said...

You do write eloquently. I always admire your reviews. I seem to have few words to use. I love your description of learning to love teaching again. I'm glad for you and for your students.

Suzy said...

Thanks for the kind words about my writing. I love blogging because it's a good writing practice -- and unlike my dismal notebooks, it connects me with wonderful people.

poodledoc said...

Thanks for this honesty. It is very moving as I read this.

I, too, was moved by Writing Down the Bones and began journaling a lot, writing a lot. It was a powerful time in my life for a variety of reasons

So why is Goldbery apologizing?

poodledoc said...

Thanks for this honesty. It is very moving as I read this.

I, too, was moved by Writing Down the Bones and began journaling a lot, writing a lot. It was a powerful time in my life for a variety of reasons

So why is Goldbery apologizing?

Suzy said...

She apologizes because she feels that she made the writing life sound easy and desirable.

I was taken aback for a moment by your typo: Goldbery for Goldberg. I was thinking of "fair Goldberry", Tom Bombadil's lady love, the River's daughter. Since I had also been writing about LOTR I was confused!

poodledoc said...

Yes, I must learn to type someday. Sorry I accidentally posted my comments twice. OOPS.

I am sort of perpetually reading LOTR. Every so often I pick up the book and read it. It's kind of an old friend.

As for Goldberry, I don't know if she had time to write but one of the major disappointments I had with the movie was the exclusion of Goldberry and Tom B.

Suzy said...

Who would have played the parts? I know! Brangelina!!!