Sunday, January 04, 2009

Smaller Than Life

In a NYT op ed piece, Frank Rich hits the nail on the head, concerning George W. Bush.
WE like our failed presidents to be Shakespearean, or at least large enough to inspire Oscar-worthy performances from magnificent tragedians like Frank Langella. So here, too, George W. Bush has let us down. Even the banality of evil is too grandiose a concept for 43. He is not a memorable villain so much as a sometimes affable second banana whom Josh Brolin and Will Ferrell can nail without breaking a sweat. He’s the reckless Yalie Tom Buchanan, not Gatsby. He is smaller than life. Read the thing in its entirety.
Unfortunately, probably bidden by his obscenely wealthy NeoCon pals, he is still wreaking as much havoc as he can before he exits the national scene entirely. As I've said all along, he is a mean, stupid, dangerous little man. I regret that he is not being tried for his crimes.

3 comments:

poodledoc said...

I share your regret.

Unknown said...

I felt bad when he took the office and I feel bad now when I think about all the bad stuff that has initiated.

Suzy said...

It has been every bit as bad as I expected and then some. The only surprises were that the Dems were such weenies.