Saturday, January 10, 2009

This is heresy!

Call me old-fashioned, but this is just wrong.

He might be almost 90 years old in real terms, but Christopher Robin and his bear of very little brain are set to make a literary comeback after the estate of AA Milne agreed to authorise the first-ever official sequel to the much-loved children's books.

Return to the Hundred Acre Wood by author David Benedictus picks up from the poignant ending of Milne's last Pooh book, The House at Pooh Corner, in which Christopher Robin is growing up and heading away to school. "Pooh, promise you won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I'm a hundred," he tells the bear, and they leave together. (Read the rest here.)

One good thing -- at least it wasn't written by J.K. Rowlings.



9 comments:

Ed said...

That's an Abomination Unto Nuggan!

Sminthia said...

Not to be picky or anything, but it's J.K. Rowling, no "s". Rhymes with "bowling"

Suzy said...

Jacqueline, I thought that it didn't look quite right. I will have to read those books in preparation for getting a librarian job, won't I?

Nevertheless, sequels -- especially when they aren't by the original author -- bother me. Can't they think of a new idea and just let the classics be?

Jan said...

Sequels by someone else bother me, too.

lisahgolden said...

Kind of like the sequel to Gone with the Wind.

Just no.

(Says the woman who is looking furtively at Gatsby's Girl sitting on her desk.)

Suzy said...

Well, Lisa, there are sequels and then there are books that spin off of a more minor character, and those can be quite creative.

But Pooh! Pooh is sacred. Hasn't Disney done enough to desecrate the books?

Which reminds me -- a few years ago I was in a grocery store in the baking aisle, and found a set of food coloring licensed by Disney, and I couldn't help but giggle that there was a jar of a yellowy-brown color called "Pooh".

tweetey30 said...

HI there. I hope he does some justice to poor pooh and Christopher Robin. I cant type tonight Its almost bed time.. LOL.. Let me know when it comes out and I will get Kora the sequel.

poodledoc said...

Oh, the pain of hearing JK Rowling slammed. Like I'd been punched in the stomach.

But I share your views on sequels.

And then I wonder: what IF JK Rowling had written a sequel to the Pooh series. Would Christopher Robin discover he was actually a wizard? Would something far more sinister than heffalumps (sp?) enter the 100 acre wood? The possiblities are endless. But it would be wrong.....

QuakerDave said...

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.