Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Trawling for Sea Kittens

Thanks to PETA for giving me the biggest laugh of the day. Mind you, I'm not trying to take issue with people who work for animal rights, or people who choose not to eat meat. I just question the effectiveness of PETA's tactics.

There are many reasons not to eat fish. Personally I have cut way back on any seafood consumption both because of the mercury content and because there are very few types that are not endangered due to pollution, loss of habitat, or overfishing. Furthermore, I don't question whether fish have feelings or are social beings. But ... sea kittens?

I admit, we eat meat in our house. White meat, red meat. However, over the last few years we have made a conscious decision to cut back on meat consumption, and then spend more money to buy locally and organically grown, humanely raised meat, as well as other animal products. Many small-time farmers raise heritage breeds of animals, that are in danger of becoming extinct otherwise, if there wasn't a market for them. I know it sort of sounds like "We had to destroy the village to save the village" logic, but in this case I think it makes sense.

Gotta go now and snuggle up with my sea kittens in the bathtub.

Late breaking update: Buy your "Save the Sea Kitten" merchandise here! I want one!!

11 comments:

Fran said...

Yeah, but I bet one would have a bitch of a time trying to litter box train a sea kitten.

I love animals - we have a dog, a cat and fish here.

And we do eat meat, but we try to do what you speak of by buying locally and humanely produced food.

Sea kittens - that is just off the chart!

lisahgolden said...

Oh boy. Does it feel like some days the only way to please all the special interest groups would be to stake yourself out in a field somewhere and let anything and everything take a whack, a bite, a chunk, a shot.........

Dave Schipper said...

I have no insights to add... love the post & I love the earth and the people on it ... and I eat MEAT. ;-)

Dave

Anonymous said...

Meow.

Cinderbelle said...

Oh dear god, I can't believe they're serious. I laughed so hard that I cried. Sea kittens?

Ed said...

PETA may find this tactic backfires on them:

If sea kittens taste good, then land kittens might also taste good. Let's find out...

Sorghum Crow said...

Well, we see how well the chicken of the sea campaign worked out.

Sminthia said...

That's just crazy.

poodledoc said...

PETA does more damage to animal welfare than any organization I've encountered in my life, and in my work as a veterinarian.

Suzy said...

But I AM looking forward to Ben & Jerry's new line of ice cream made from human breast milk -- another fine PETA idea.

Sorghum Crow said...

I'll stick to the new flavor

Yes, Pecan!