Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mmmmmmmmm.

We had a most wonderful dinner experience this evening and I wanted to share it with you (dear readers) in case you might want to seek out something like it in your vicinity! A friend of ours from way back is a librarian by vocation, but her first love has always been cooking for groups of people. A couple of years ago she came into an inheritance and used it to buy a house (lucky for us) right in our neighborhood. There she hosts dinner parties with home cooked food made from scratch, served family-style (except without the family-style humiliation.) She maintains a mailing list, and when she's ready to host a dinner, she sends out an announcement. The dinners are a fixed menu and fixed price ($25 for two) with appetizers, main dish, sides, and dessert. Tonight the menu included chicken pot pie -- my absolute favorite comfort food -- and butterscotch pudding for dessert.

It turned out that Mr. Ether knew most of the other diners that were there. It was a little weird in that, rather than sitting and letting the food digest, they all beat it out of there immediately after eating. I think they were all anxious to get home and watch the Oscars. Not us. (We haven't gotten a conversion box yet, so our TV is non-functioning except for the Fox channel; if I were a TV watcher, that would be my idea of Hell ... but I'm not, which is why we don't have a conversion box.)

It was lovely, especially because mean-spirited weasels like Dick Cheney were not welcome. If you care to check out the website, you can find it here or host/chef Deb's blog here.

8 comments:

Fran said...

It sounds like a lovely evening and what a great idea!

Oscars? Did not watch. Do not care too much.

We have (*eyes cast downward*) cable and an HD TV.

The stations in our area, even though ready to go digital, extended their analog signals along with the government's change of date.

lisahgolden said...

That is a great idea! I'm glad you had a good time. I was glued to the Oscars.

Yeah, right. I think the last time I watched the Oscars Ghandi or Tootsie was the big winner.

tweetey30 said...

Sounds great but I dont like large groups of people..

Ed said...

It was a nice evening, but somewhat diminished by the fact that some of the people there were in such a hurry to finish and go watch the Oscars. It would have been nice if there had been a more relaxed atmosphere. Still, I'd definitely try it again.

poodledoc said...

Too bad on the dinner. Didn't watch the Oscars. But...have you seen Slumdog Millionaire yet?

Suzy said...

I don't think I can see Slumdog Millionaire. I know it has an uplifting message, but I've heard that the pain on the way there is pretty relentless. I just can't do relentless anymore.

poodledoc said...

I don't think of it in terms of an uplifting message. I mean there is some of that.

More, I saw it as a very creative (and painful) way to show how many people in the world live, while we complain about the weather.

Suzy said...

I hear you about knowing how many people in the world live. That's why I try not to complain about little things ... so kick me if I do.