I'm a novice bloggerina, and I've been following links from blogs I visit regularly to other blogs down in Blogville. I've been thinking a lot about this weird and wonderful world of blogging, and yes, I've been suffering some blogger's angst.
From whence does my angst stem?
Well, it's like this. I'm half Martha Stewart and half Rosa Parks (actually if I was ever a fraction of the person Rosa was, I'd be happy) and I wonder what I want my blog to be. Some days I visit a great many blogs of a great many creative women who post their creative endeavors, and I feel moved to post about my creative endeavors. But the other part of me is passionate (obsessed, my family would say) about social justice, especially as it pertains to children and education, peace, nonviolence. So my blog is inspired by other current event-related blogs, really my cyber-soapbox where I expound and pontificate about things very close to my heart.
I've been ruminating on this for a few days, really looking for the place that these two parts of who I am intersect -- and I think I have a glimpse of clarity about it. It came to me in the phrase "everyday radical."
I believe that every time I (or anyone) creates something, it is a radical act. Every time that I am a creator, rather than a consumer -- every time I sing in the car instead of turning on the radio, bake bread instead of buying it, pick up my guitar and play it, knit socks, write something, make dinner for my family -- all of those things are everyday radical. They are a statement of hope, of faith, of a vision of what I'd like the world to be.
So I'll just continue as I have been, but I might post a photo of a perfect loaf of French bread or Poodle Doc's mittens, or the little mousie slippers that are drying on the kitchen counter ... just every now and again. 'Cause I'm not really Martha Stewart (praise Annoya, the goddess of things that get stuck in kitchen drawers!)
Just know, when I'm in the middle of a rant, that I can also knit a mean pair of socks -- turn the heel and everything. I can even knit shoelaces, and come the Revolution, everyone's going to need to know how to knit shoelaces.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
I think there's room for everyone in Blogland. I also think what you said about being creative in everyday things is true. We all have different ways of creating. You might feel more comfortable creating political justice (if that's possible!) and someone else might like creating lacy shawls. As long as you're being true to yourself that's what matters.
Suzi, please do not change a thing about your ranting....I love visiting your blog, because a lot of what many of us consume our lives with is essentially "froth". We have fun creating, and we may even make a bit of a living from it (hopefully) but when you really get down to it, it doesn't do anything to change the world. Your blog brings balance, some real grit to balance the froth, and i must admit at times I arrive here really feeling "all frothed out" and relish a good rant to remind me (and challenge me)that there is a hurting world and caring people like you out there! And i LOVE your definition of everyday radical, it is so true. It is so easy to minimise or overlook the everyday creativity of homemaking, being a mom, etc. They are probably the most creative acts of all!
"everyday radical": great name for a blog.
Been here, done that angst. I tell you what Blue Gal told me when I came to this same spot in this here bloggin' road:
Don't. Change. A. Thing.
Darlin'. (She said that, too.)
Thank you, one and all.
Darlings.
I started blogging a few years ago and my blog now is entirely different to when I first started. Don't worry too much about what you want your blog to be like, just be you & eventually it will all sort itself out. as you know, I rant quite often on my blog..but that's me..so go ahead rant when you want and be real xo
One of the things I like about your blog is that it is so eclectic. You also write well, which makes reading it enjoyable.
miss*r -- Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm pleased to know that my ranting doesn't sound like a desperate cry for help ... even to those of you who live halfway around the world!
eddie spaghetti -- awwww shucks. exes and ohs.
Terry ... Wine? Soon?
And anyone else who wants to join us: Janet? Sue? Miss*R? Dave? Wear your mukluks!
Post a Comment