Sunday, March 11, 2007

Harry Belafonte!

He's been making news these days, speaking out against the Bush Administration and the U.S. war on Iraq. He has always been a passionate and eloquent champion of peace (the real kind, not the kind on Christmas cards.)My friend over at Poodle Doc has an excellent post about him today.

I also happen to have a soft spot for celebrities who are not afraid to be upstaged by a bunch of puppets. This one is from The Muppet Show. "Turn the World Around" -- I love it. I teach it to my students every year.

6 comments:

poodledoc said...

I loved it! Thanks! Do you happen to know how old Harry was when this was filmed?

The bizarre part of me was imagining W appearing on the Muppet show. In my imagining, the Muppets are much tougher on him than the Democrats in the "majority" Congress......

Ed said...

Who ate all the pork chops?
You ate all the pork chops.
Let's get some more pork chops.
Serve them all around!

Who or whooom aaaate aaaall the porkchops?
Let's get some more pork chops.
Serve them all around!

poodledoc said...

Is that something from theAppliances, Ed? I know you're a musician and all, but you lost me there......

Ed said...

It's the bit that was rescued from the cutting room floor, now part of the Special Features on the Limited Edition DVD.

Suzy said...

Oh, Ed. You know who ate all the pork chops ... I did! Mmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy
That's a beautiful song! Thanks, I'd never heard it. And of course Harry Belafonte, Harry Beautiful Fountain, has been one in my heart since I was about 8 years old.

I'm glad he is cultivating peace, real peace, as you say.