Monday, March 12, 2007

Creativity, pt. 1

I've been thinking about creativity a lot lately. Writing this blog is a creative act for me. In addition to writing, I love to knit, sew, felt, cook, bake, and decorate Ukrainian Easter eggs. Simply making things gives me so much pleasure. I don't feel as adept with drawing or painting, although in high school I was enamored of the work of Arthur Rackham and Beatrix Potter, and wanted nothing more than to illustrate children's books. But ... life took me on different pathways, as life so often does, and I ended up as an elementary school teacher who does all these other things on the side.

A few years ago I had an existential crisis that centered on my creativity. At the time I had young children, and was in a particularly stressful teaching situation. It felt to me as if I was being sucked dry: my well was dry and I had nothing left. I could barely get myself through a working day, then I would come home and sit in the dark with my fingers in my ears to block out ALL stimulation. It was a terrible feeling! (And hard on my family.) I did a lot of beating on myself -- "Why did I become a teacher? I should have become an artist!" -- pretty relentlessly.

I began working through Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way, and it was a great help to me. Doing the practices she suggested got me more focused on what I wanted my life to look like. I joined a couple of different groups of mostly women, who were also looking to make changes in their lives. And the funny thing was, I kind of did a full circle and ended up right back where I had been all along (kind of like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. No ruby slippers though.) With one difference: I was very clear that I wanted all the parts of my life to intertwine seamlessly with one another as much as possible.

Now about 8 years have gone by, and I'm in a very good place. I LOVE my job. I LOVE my community. I'm making music, which was a part of myself I had buried really deep for a long time. But I'm beginning to feel these stirrings in my soul that tell me I want something more, specifically I want to create more. So I turned once again to the myriad books that are available about awakening/reclaiming your creativity ... and they're just not doing it for me this time. In fact, for the most part they annoy me!

And I think it's because I know exactly what I need to do: If I want to create something, I need to just do it. I have all the materials at hand.

I also find that so much in the books is about the individual -- how to reclaim your creativity -- and so much of what moves me these days is community. The community of my classroom, my school, my Quaker meeting, my neighborhood ...

I want to write specifically about 2 books that I've recently gotten from the library, but I think I'll save them for a separate post.

4 comments:

poodledoc said...

Great post! Yes, reclaiming your creativity from the english teacher/art teacher/music teacher who said at one time or another in one way or another "You are not creative." It is all there. I recall leading workshops in men's gatherings to do watercolors. I supplied the materials and they supplied the creativity. Man after man would say "I'm not an artist' or "I'm not good at painting". Then they'd create beautiful things. Its all in there. In all of us. Tell me more, tell me more!

Suzy said...

Oh no! My next post is about being insulted at the notion that teachers steal creativity from students! Maybe it's true after all!

poodledoc said...

Sadly,there are some really damaging teachers out there. It gives me hope that you do what you do so well, with so much passion. I've had teachers like you, and they made a positive difference in my life. The flip side are the teachers who actively discouraged creativity and free thinking. Who punctured kids dreams, rather than helping them explore. But that creativity can be reclaimed, as you say.....

Miss Robyn said...

you know what? during my week away from my blog, I have been just playing with my journal and it has been fun. I am sure self help books are wonderful (I just bought the Artists way), but I realized that I am reading way too many books on how to find my creativity and I am sure it is a ploy of my ego to prevent me from actually creating.
I do read your blog every few days but sometimes don't comment as I don't really understand the USA politics and such (ours is so different)
just wanted to say - thanks for visiting me over the past few months xo