Sunday, August 19, 2007

Turn around and they're tiny. Turn around and they're grown.

This baby just left for college 12 hours away from home.
I made some last ditch efforts to get her to stay and be my baby again. I told her she could have all the Barbies she wanted and the pink convertible, but the siren song of independence calls. I also told her younger sister that she doesn't ever have to leave home. She can move into the basement until she's 45. She rolled her eyes and said "Mom, you wouldn't want me living in your basement." They'll understand if and when they're parents.

So if you're one of those people who lurks around my blog, please leave me a comment. I'm kind of sad right now and I need some TLC. Thanks.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't fret, she's carrying the best parts of you inside her and even if you don't think you influenced her in the right ways, you did. She'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

This is really the cycle of life.

Both my kids have recently left home for good. It will never be the same. I cried a lot at first. But after awhile it gets better.

As my parental role diminishes, I'm discovering that my daughter is turning into my friend. She shares (most of) my values and interests. And she's much smarter than I about a lot of things. So we talk on the phone and the internet. She misses me, too. And so it goes.

Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Oh Suzy. I'm thinking about you. She must be so excited. It is so hard to be the one left behind, isn't it. It is a bittersweet sadness though, isn't it? That little bit of sweetness will grow.

And my god, the big girl still looks EXACTLY LIKE THAT LITTLE BABY! She looks exactly the same! How weird!

Love to you --
t

Sminthia said...

That is a beautiful baby picture! I can see the confident, caring, talented, grown-up kid that I know in her eyes. I have a long time to wait until the sminthettes are on their own, but I can tell you one thing... You done good.

Suzy said...

You guys are all going to make me cry!

QuakerDave said...

She's excited, and you're a nervous wreck.

And it won't get any easier. My son is back home living with us now, and I still fear for him every time he goes out, anywhere. I won't even tell you what happened to him this weekend, but he's home safe now, so... That's just how it's gonna be, I guess. My friends tell me I'll get used to it. My good friends tell me I'll never get used to it, that I'll always be a bit... scared.

It's natural, and it sucks. Big time. But you have this to hold on to: you know you raised her right, and you know that, many times, she will think of your face and whatever look of disapproval is unique to you before she makes a decision, and then she'll do the right thing.

Because most of the time, that's what they do. And knowing that lets me sleep at night.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so I FINALLY checked your blog (aren't you proud of me?) because I KNEW that the first thing you would do would be blog about me leaving. How well do I know you? I said to dad, "How much you want to bet that mom's going to have a blog up by tonight that says, 'my baby left for college today.'?" Got the wording right and everything. :-P Don't worry, we're halfway there, and everything's going smoothly. It's raining like crazy, though. I love you and miss you.

QuakerDave said...

SEE?

What a great kid!

Suzy said...

Yeah, I'm proud and happy. Thanks for your comment previous to hers, Dave. My heart has been in my mouth since the day I gave birth to the first one. That kind of love is wonderful, but sooooo hard.