Sunday, September 09, 2007

More On Patriotism

I want to thank everyone who commented about my last post on patriotism. I really appreciate the thoughtful response I received. The following words "speak to my condition" (as Quakers are wont to say.) They were written in 1934 by Lloyd Stone, set to the music of the hymn "Finlandia" by Finnish composer Jean Sibelius.

This is my song, Oh God of all the nations,
A song of peace for lands afar and mine.
This is my home, the country where my heart is;
Here are my hopes, my dreams, my sacred shrine.
But other hearts in other lands are beating,
With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.
My country's skies are bluer than the ocean,
And sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine.
But other lands have sunlight too and clover,
And skies are everywhere as blue as mine.
Oh hear my song, oh God of all the nations,
A song of peace for their land and for mine.
What is this an expression of? Universalism? That's what I am.

8 comments:

Ghost Dansing said...

Within historical context the music is a Nationalist Patriotic Anthem..... Link..... However I understand the higher transnational overtones to which you allude and which you embrace.

National Anthems frequently invoke broad humanitarian ideals as justification for existence and affirmation of righteousness..... Internationale

Star Spangled Banner

Jan said...

It was interesting to look at the links Ghost Dansing supplied. The Finlandia of the link and the one you posted were different. Suzy, I like the lines to the Finlandia in your post. I agree with them, also.

But I am stirred to question myself with the talk of patriotism. Am I too idealistic and not realistic as to how I am living here in the U.S.? I am grateful to be an American and am not ready to give up my citizenship as my daughter talks of hers, but am not sure how far patriotism goes either. You've clarified your values more than I have, perhaps due to your Quaker heritage. I am glad you've been expressing your views and thoughts; they are stirring within me who knows what.

A friend always tells me she prays God to make her uncomfortable. Well, I'm there!

Suzy said...

Yes, Finlandia, with its original words, is the Finnish national anthem. I don't really care for any national anthems. But the melody was written by Jean Sibelius before the nationalistic lyrics were added. It's a good melody, and I'm glad that Lloyd Stone (and others) wrote different words.

Jan, I'm not ready to become an expatriate either. I have some hope that there is goodness yet to come here. My Quaker heritage doesn't go back more than 15 years, but then again, my upbringing was certainly good preparation for becoming a Quaker.

Fran said...

Well this is such a thoughtful follow up to that last post. You present very important notions to your readers and you do it well. Thank you Suzy.

These words are beautiful and it is hard to think of them as an anthem.

Here we are, many of us various backgrounds and traditions, yet we are of like minds.

Like Jan and you - I am not ready to seek a distant shore. For me it reminds me of family issues. I realized I did not want to be driven away from a table at which I belonged.

In the past I used to "run away" both literally and figuratively. Now I want to try to be an activist, a mobilizer, a worker towards higher goals.

People laugh at me when I say that and accuse me of the idealism of my youth. Unlike that of my youth, 30 or so years ago, today I can follow through with presence and action and a commitment to peace and social justice.

Having lived through 9/11 in NYC that day, I feel ill at what it has wrought and how it has been misappropriated by our politicians. It is disgraceful.

I choose dissent and I choose peace.

Thanks for this great forum Suzy.

Ginnie said...

I'm so glad that there are people like you to offset the drama and fanatacism shown by so many "patriots".
Nothing makes me angrier than to be told that I am not partriotic just because I abhor this pre-emptive war and everything that it entails.

Suzy said...

"I choose dissent and I choose peace."

That would make a great bumper sticker.

FranIAm -- I will be holding you, and all others who experienced the 9/11 attacks firsthand, in the light tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

"I choose dissent and I choose peace."

I say we all add this to the banners on our blogs. Like, today.

Thanks for these posts. it's about what we're for, not just what we're against.

Fran said...

Thank you and peace, may we all live and radiate peace this day and always.