Saturday, October 06, 2007

Book Meme

Jan tagged me for this meme. I actually like memes, especially ones where I get to talk about books. I love books. Maybe I should become a librarian. And I tag anyone else who wants to answer, either on your own blog or in my comments, because I am also interested in what others are reading. Maybe I should become a librarian. Oh, yeah, I already said that.
Here goes:

Total number of books? Gosh, I haven’t counted. Ever. I actually seldom buy books these days, unless it’s something I know I will read again and again, or something with limited availability. I have a large collection of children’s books, many of them out of print favorites. So I probably have between 1000 and 2000.

Last book read? Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things (A mystery for middle school aged students that I read and reviewed as part of my student teaching for library certification) and At Large and At Small by Anne Fadiman.

Last book bought? For myself, Two Sweaters For My Father by Perry Klass

Five meaningful books?

The Impossible Will Take A Little While: A Citizen's Guide to Hope in a Time of Fear by Paul Loeb

Practicing Peace: A Devotional Walk Through the Quaker Tradition by Catherine Whitmire

Ordinary Resurrections: Children in the Years of Hope by Jonathan Kozol

Push by Sapphire

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

How about favorite children's books? I LOVE children’s books, always have. I’ll name a few from my childhood:

Twig by Elizabeth Orton Jones
Dr. Goat by Georgiana (I want this book! If you have a copy you’d like to sell, let me know.)
The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes by Dubose Heyward
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present by Charlotte Zolotow
Miss Happiness and Miss Flower by Rumer Godden
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgeson Burnett
The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
Pink Maple House by Christine Noble Govan (I’m looking for this one too.)
Five Children and It by E. Nesbit

Most Used Cookbooks:

Whole Foods for the Whole Family, La Leche League (Jan's favorite too!)
Moosewood Restaurant Cooks At Home, The Moosewood Collective
Extending the Table ... A World Community Cookbook, Joetta Handrich Schlabach
From Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Farm Fresh Seasonal Produce, Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition
The Joy of Cooking, Rombauer & Becker

12 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

great list! you've increase my children's book "must read" list also.

little women was the first "thick book" I read.

and I used The Impossible Will Take a Little While for a church book club. The article by Walter Wink, Jesus and Saul Alinsky alone is worth the price of the book, in my opinion.

Suzy said...

Diane, I return to "The Impossible ..." frequently. Sometimes I just open it up and read whichever essay I'm at.

Distributorcap said...

where is My Pet Goat
8-)

Suzy said...

Distributor Cap -- I'm chuckling. Will that be the symbol of every crime of this sorry presidency? (I was going to say "every FAILURE" but the thing is, none of these things have been failures. They've been willfully committed criminal acts, and the perpetrators have profited mightily.

Jan said...

Suzy, I'm so glad you did the book meme and also commented on many of my posts! YAY! Also glad you responded to my daughter's venomous attack on "Little Women." Probably the reason I always liked that book so much was that when I was in 3rd grade I was in a 3-4 combination class, and a fourth grader told me I wasn't old enough to read it!!--fighting words! (Plus, I was a very good reader.)

It's so nice to know someone else who likes "Whole Foods for the Whole Family." Does this mean you were also in La Leche League? I was a LLL Leader for 12 years.

Have you ever seen "Jamberry" --that's such a cute book. And there's "Ferdinand", "One Morning in Maine," "Make Way for Ducklings," "Blueberries for Sal," "Millions of Cats"--You can tell I love some of the OLD children's classics. My ALL time favorite is "MISS RUMPHIUS" where she says we each need to "do something to make the world more beautiful"--HOW WE ALL NEED TO DO THIS!!!

Jan said...

I love the picture of Anna reading, too!

Suzy said...

Oh ... that was your daughter's venomous response! Funny ...
Jamberry was one of my oldest daughter's favorites. I love all of those others you mention too, but I grew to love them as a parent and a teacher, not as a child. Are you familiar with the "Little Tim" books, illustrated by the incomparable Edward Ardizonne? I scored the entire set of those when they were being discarded by my school librarian.

I was never a La Leche leader, but I attended meetings and I was an ardent breast feeder. I won't tell you how long I nursed my girls, except maybe in a private email. :-)

poodledoc said...

I have a copy of Dr Goat that I'm selling for $10,000. But since you are a great friend, I'll give you a discount to $5,000. bwahahahaha! Actually, I really do love this book and always enjoyed reading it to my son (and to myself!)

Suzy said...

Yeah, Chuck ... just which bookcase is it that you keep it in? Do you need me to run over during the day tomorrow and, er, walk Duke? While you're at work and Junior is at school?

Anonymous said...

Hi Luminiferous

I'm popping into blogland for a moment. Do you know how amazing you are? These lists tell so much about you: what a devoted and adventuresome reader you are. I especially like the list of children's books.

You joy and enthusiasm wash away some of the drab colors of my day.

Gotta go back to real life. Adios.

QuakerDave said...

Total number of books? Gazillions.

Last book read? The Faith and Practice of the Quakers by Rufus Jones.

Last book bought? With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge. Portions of this book made up some of the narration for the Ken Burns documentary The War.

Five meaningful books?

Faith & Practice: Philadelphia Yearly Meeting

Holy Silence

The Grapes of Wrath

The Once & Future King

Life if Pi

How about favorite children's books? Green Eggs and Ham, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel, The Little Engine That Could.

Most Used Cookbooks: Ummm... What are they?

Suzy said...

By the way, I really disliked The Life of Pi. What was I missing?