You know, I'm having a hard time writing this post. I am an active member of The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) which is, for all intents and purposes, a Christian denomination. Yet I was raised in the Unitarian Universalist tradition by atheist parents. So spiritually speaking, I'm a little confused about how to define my beliefs. Quakers put it kindly when they say I am a "seeker."
From time to time the Blogosphere seems to erupt into heated debate over religion. Frequently it gets framed as a debate between "believers" vs. "non-believers", and it is often quite painful. I was discussing all of this with my spousal unit this weekend. While he believes wholeheartedly in religious (or a-religious) tolerance, he also sees why atheists feel so threatened by expressions of belief. Even if religious fundamentalists -- those who wish to impose theocracy -- are a relatively small minority, they are feeling remarkably empowered in these times. And sometimes even well-meaning people operate under the assumption that we all "speak the same language" (religiously speaking.)
It seems that the religious beliefs of our presidential candidates are being put under the microscope as never before. I mean, we knew that John Kennedy was Roman Catholic, Richard Nixon was a Quaker (huh?), and Jimmy Carter was Southern Baptist. But that is where it ended. Perhaps the reason for that was the general assumption that everyone was some Christian denomination, so perhaps it is a good thing, in a way, that it is being discussed on a deeper level. But for some, it takes on the tone of the Spanish Inquisition.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. And seriously now, nobody should want the Spanish Inquisition. The founding fathers, flawed humans that they were, were also absolutely clear on the subjects of religious tolerance and separation of church and state.
As I contemplated what I would write today, I thought I would turn to my favorite author, the brilliant British satirist Terry Pratchett, who actually has a lot to say about about religion. He is the creator of (among others) Om of Omnia, Blind Io, Offler the Crocodile God, and Annoya -- goddess of things that get stuck in drawers. His book Small Gods is a small masterpiece.
So I leave you with a few Pratchett quotes, and a link to one lengthy passage.
In Thud! the dwarf Bashfull Bashfullsson explains that the dwarf creator, Tak, “wrote the World and the Laws, and then He left us. He does not require that we think of Him, only that we think”.
From Small Gods: "The trouble with being a god is that you've got no one to pray to."
"Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think."
From Sourcery: "I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
"CATS," he said eventually. "CATS ARE NICE."
Go in peace.
Coexist.
Namaste.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
You keep talking about Terry Prachett and I'm really going to have to read one of his books one day. Scout is a big fan. My best friend in Seattle was a huge fan. I think we even talked about this recently, didn't we? Forgive me, I have not yet recovered from my small head slam (you'll see this excuse for the next 9 mos.). I believe you recommended a Prachett book for me to start with. I have to read _Book Thief_ first, and that 2000 page book that Oon put on my list, and about six others, but after that I'll read Prachett. Should I start with _Small Gods_?
Terry, We'll talk when you're ready. The spousal unit wants to be in on that conversation. <3
Terry, I'm jealous. You have all of Terry Pratchett's books to look forward to! Bliss! I've read them all twice, now. And what is the 2000 page book that Oon (would that be Baff Oon?) put on your list? Neal Stephenson, perhaps?
Sorry, Suzy. I didn't mean to go off on a tangent like that. Good post. I think Pratchett has a healthy outlook on organized religion. Be careful, though, or you'll end up being subjected to the Comfy Chair.
2 comments, unrelated:
As a newly practicing Quaker, returning on Easter Sunday from a week in Mayan Mexico, I just mentioned to my spousal unit that I've become really comfortable in my belief that the Easter story is an artifact of human cultural history. The resurrection is a myth like any other, Mayan or otherwise.
He said, "You mean you're comfortable with your non-belief." No. I have no non-belief. I have a very strong belief: Many human cultures have a resurrection story that is played out sometime around the spring equinox. I'm finally happy to face the fact that my Methodist upbringing celebrated a spring resurrection story that is just that: a story.
Unrelated point #2. I hope that you and Ed are aware of Terry Pratchett's recent diagnosis: http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2007-12-12-terry-pratchett_N.htm
I'm unfamiliar with his work, but, thanks to your recommendation, will pick up something of his at the library tomorrow.
Re: Pratchett
Terry Pratchett's diagnosis made us very heavy-hearted. His books are wonderful.
I like that pretty much all religious celebrations trace their roots back to so-called pagan origins. Spring is a glorious time.
Post a Comment