Today marks the 5 year anniversary of Rachel Corrie's death in Rafah, Palestine. Rachel Corrie, a 23 year old college student from Washington state, died while being a human shield, to prevent the destruction of a Palestinian home in Gaza. She was run over by a (U.S. supplied) bulldozer, used by the Israeli military as a weapon of war. The driver of the bulldozer claimed that he did not see her. Multiple witnesses said that Rachel was in plain view, standing atop a mound of dirt wearing a blaze orange vest, at eye level with the driver. A partial investigation by the Israeli government found Rachel to be at fault; a full investigation of her death was never conducted. Rachel Corrie is considered a martyr in Palestine.
On Friday night I went to see My Name Is Rachel Corrie, the play that was adapted from Rachel's writing. I had read the text of the play before, but hearing the words being spoken was a treat. Rachel Corrie was a gifted writer, often very funny. Her emails to her parents from Gaza, the last one just a day or two before she died, were achingly poignant.
The play lasted about 90 minutes, an enormous undertaking for the lone actress who played Rachel. Everyone involved with this production chose to remain anonymous, in order to keep the audience wholly focused on Rachel's message.
Incidentally, the play has been translated into Arabic and will be playing in numerous locations throughout Israel and Palestine this month. Rachel's parents traveled to Palestine for the premiere.
I am so glad that I was finally able to see it. I highly recommend reading it, and seeing it if it is produced in your area.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
How incredibly sad. Thanks for the remembrance.
Thank you for posting this. Rachel Corrie is vilified in Israel and among many of my otherwise open-minded and compassionate Jewish friends - or friends that are not Jewish but firmly Zionist.
I am reminded of my very Zionist cousin - all filled with the fire and brimstone, so to speak, that a 22 year old who recently moved to Israel can have. Two years ago, he insisted upon driving us around the West Bank so that he could "prove" to me in some way that the settlements were "good."
Then the topic of Rachel Corrie came up... we had a big blowout of an argument, standing on a hill in a big settlement town.
All I can say is this- Rachel Corrie stood for something important and anything that upholds her memory is a gift.
After reading the comments on the Nader post, I am compelled to return here for clarification.
I did not say I was pro or anti Israel but may have implied something in my rant of a comment.
For the record, I believe in the right of Israel to exist. I have been there twice and I am likely to return.
That said, in addition to my Jewish friends and relatives there, I also have Muslim and Christian friends there and in Jordan, all of whom are Arabic.
I won't go on and on here, but just say that it is a most complicated issue and that what I am most "pro" on his the respect for any people that simply want to live in peace.
I agree, it cannot be simplified to pro- or anti-Israel. My mom, a Jew and cousin of Israel's first president Chaim Waismann -- but definitely NOT a Zionist, once explained to me how this whole mess is the fault of the rest of the world (but primarily the US and Britain, no surprises.) How the refugees after the Holocaust were subject to quotas or not welcome anywhere, and the only place where they could go was Palestine. I can't pretend to know the history, but I understand that little piece I think. Of course, now, Israel has a right to exist, but how did it become that Palestine does not have a right to exist? It is such a sad and unnecessary mess.
Sounds interesting. Wonder if it will come to the Weidner Center. I will have to check this out.
Tweetey, more likely to be at a smaller venue ... does the UW-Green Bay publish a newspaper? It would likely be publicized there.
Rachel is one of my new heroes. If I can face the horrors of Bush/Cheney with half her courage and grace then I'll be doing good.
Post a Comment