... of relief, that is. School ended for the summer today. It really is bittersweet. I become very attached to my students, and I don't care for the changes that come at the end of the school year: retirements, transfers, good-byes. The flip side is the fact that I love, love, love summer vacation! (What person in their right mind wouldn't?) So I was riding my bike home, singing to myself as I am wont to do, and suddenly I realized that I was singing Alice Cooper's School's Out for Summer. What was my first clue? When I got to the line, "School's been blown to pieces." Of course I don't want that to happen. I am extraordinarily lucky that I love my school so much. I'll be back one more time on Monday to finish cleaning up my room, then I kick into summer mode. Although this year it will be different, because in 2 weeks I start student teaching in a library in a nearby school district every morning. That means that in a scant 6 weeks I will be able to be certified as a school library media specialist. How cool is that? Pretty cool. It's only taken me 7 years! Not looking for a different job yet, however.
Friday, June 13, 2008
Deep Sigh ...
... of relief, that is. School ended for the summer today. It really is bittersweet. I become very attached to my students, and I don't care for the changes that come at the end of the school year: retirements, transfers, good-byes. The flip side is the fact that I love, love, love summer vacation! (What person in their right mind wouldn't?) So I was riding my bike home, singing to myself as I am wont to do, and suddenly I realized that I was singing Alice Cooper's School's Out for Summer. What was my first clue? When I got to the line, "School's been blown to pieces." Of course I don't want that to happen. I am extraordinarily lucky that I love my school so much. I'll be back one more time on Monday to finish cleaning up my room, then I kick into summer mode. Although this year it will be different, because in 2 weeks I start student teaching in a library in a nearby school district every morning. That means that in a scant 6 weeks I will be able to be certified as a school library media specialist. How cool is that? Pretty cool. It's only taken me 7 years! Not looking for a different job yet, however.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
What a lovely post Suzy.
Bittersweet. I have a friend who is a college professor and she always describes this feeling at the end of each semester.
I love the image of you on your bike, singing that song.
How is it that I do not know you IRL? It seems like I must.
And most excellent news and congratulations on your media specialist qualifications.
Good for you!
Yay Suzy!!
IRL -- In real life? We'll make it happen soon, Fran! Thanks for the good wishes.
So good! Congratulations on your future certification. Does this mean that you'll have a different job next year?
Hi, Jan. In all likelihood I will not have different job next year. The situation is this: I love my school for many reasons. I would love to be the librarian there. We already have a librarian who is a lovely person and a terrible librarian. It's awkward. She is my colleague and part of my union bargaining unit too besides. The principal is aware of how incompetent she is (the school district should never have hired her, but that's a different story) but the question is, has she been following due process in documenting the librarian's work? Every other school she has been at just ends up shoving off on a different school. We've had her the longest and she took a well-functioning library and is basically running it into the ground. I used to be sympathetic toward her plight, but this year I've just been angry when I see the state of the library and when I hear virtually every child say they don't like going to the library.
So, if I became certified and my principal has been following due process -- which is a distinct possibility -- I suppose that I might change jobs. But I am also happy where I am for the time being; I love kindergarten.
Best of luck with student teaching. Not that you'll need it.
Yay you. I loved kindergarten, too but I was a student not the teacher.
SC -- Kindergarten rocks!
Post a Comment