Friday, June 27, 2008

Once in a blue moon I go to a movie ...

... and last night was one of those rare occasions. I went to see Son of Rambow, and I was blown away (no pun intended.) The setting is somewhere in rural Britain in the early eighties. The protagonists are school boys. Lee Carter is your quintessential bad boy: snub nose, freckles, always getting thrown out of class for insubordination. William's family is part of a religious sect called the Brethren, who attempt to live apart from the outside world, but they allow William to attend the local school as long as he doesn't fraternize with the other students. William has a very active inner life, which comes out in his fantastic drawings that fill all of his books (including his Bible.) When Lee and William come together by accident, Lee sees their chance meeting as an opportunity to strongarm William into helping him make a film that he plans to enter in a BBC young filmmakers' contest.

Son of Rambow was quirky, funny, wholly original, and altogether wonderful. SEE IT!

3 comments:

Jan said...

I never heard of it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Suzy said...

The middle schoolers from Meeting went to see it, and I was dubious. But the 12 year old liked it, so I went to see it with a friend. Typically, I saw it on the last night it was in town, and I REALLY want to see it again!

Anonymous said...

I'll check it out when it hits on DVD. Thanks for the heads up.