Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Library Conversation #3

This is with the same child as conversation #2.

"What are you doing?"

"Same thing I was doing yesterday."

"I could help you stamp the books."

"Okay."

[We set up shop at a table, me with my Sharpie in hand and her with the "DiscardeD" stamp.]

"So," she says. "Do you like working here?" [She asked me at least 5 variations of that question in about an hour. I think she was making polite conversation.]

"Yes, I do."

"Working is good. You make money." [I didn't have the stamina to explain to her that, because I am in a practicum, I actually have to pay for the privilege of working there.]

"Yeah, making money is good."

"I lost 3 tooth-es. How many tooth-es did you lose when you were a kid?"

"I don't know. All of my baby teeth."

[This went on for over an hour. She was delightful. At the end I let her choose a bunch of the books to keep. I thanked her for the help and for being good company.]

"Yeah, 'cause you get lonely, right?"

[I told the librarian that tomorrow we'll put her to work cataloging.]

Update on child from conversation #1. She came in all smiles today and announced, "I loved Hank the Cowdog!" Then she went and got another book I had recommended: My Father's Dragon.

I love working in the library (even if I'm not making any money.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the leisure of being on a computer for hours at a time this week. I'm house-sitting. I scrolled back in your blog to catch up. I love this entry. You must make such a big impression on the patrons because you actually see them as human beans, not as kids.

Spending an hour chatting like that with a a child is my idea of a good time. You will be so great once you start getting paid.

Suzy said...

I actually look forward to the company of my students during the school year. They are wonderful. I look forward to casting a wider net in the library setting.