Saturday, August 09, 2008

Just the facts, ma'am.

Dave, the Agitatin' Quaker, tagged me for this meme. I'm pretty sure I've done this one before, but heck, I ALWAYS do what I'm told, no questions asked don'cha know, so here 'tis.

Rules first:

1. List these rules on your blog.

2. Share seven facts about yourself on your blog.

3. Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.

And then the facts:

  1. I was a child actor. From opera with the University of Wisconsin Opera Company at age 10 (The Poacher by Albert Lortzing) to various school and community theater groups. I was in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Ardele a French farce by Jean Anouilh, and Thornton Wilder's Our Town, among others. I stopped acting partially because I had a high school drama teacher who picked favorites and always gave the leads in the school plays to the same girl (not me) and really undermined my confidence and made me lose interest. Learning to project my voice has been invaluable for teaching though!
  2. I love being "up Nort'". I love the north woods, I love the lakes, I love the forests of mixed pine and birch. I love it in all seasons. My eldest child talks about moving south where she doesn't have to experience winter. If I was going to move from here it would be to go north: Vermont, Maine, Canada ... where mukluks are a way of life.
  3. I don't like scary movies. I don't like suspense either -- the kind of thing that keeps you on the edge of you seat in the movie theater. Or gratuitous violence.
  4. One of my favorite things these days is playing the guitar. And one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't start when I was younger and had all the time in the world (or so it seemed) and could maybe have gone on to be a performer. Kind of like with acting, I allowed the people around me to undermine my confidence and just stopped making music for a while. But I've taken lessons for a few years now and it's good. I still have a hard time thinking of myself as a musician.
  5. I do artwork when I can. I am a knitter and seamstress (although not a member of the Guild of Seamstresses, so no comments to that effect, Mr. Ether.) I also make Ukrainian Easter eggs. When I was younger, I did watercolor paintings. I'd like to do more.
  6. Like Quaker Dave, I carry a poem in my wallet. It goes: Hold fast to stars. Hold fast to the elusive, the intangible, the never-to-be-had. For stars fall from Heaven sometimes, kings are born in barns, and miracles rise from little things. I clipped it from somewhere and put it in my wallet when we took my daughter Sophie to the hospital for her heart repair 14 years ago. It comforted me in the months after her death.
  7. And finally -- my daughters would be soooo disappointed if I didn't include this fact: My grandfather invented one of the early processes for putting whipped cream in an aerosol can. He also invented an early infant formula and individually wrapped cheese slices. He was a food chemist and held a number of patents for different products; he stipulated that on his death they would be released into the public domain. And that, dear readers, is why I am not rich.

I tag ...
Poodle Doc
SamuraiFrog
Tweetey30
Sorghum Crow
Yearning for God
The Sminthophile
Enriched Geranium ('cause he hasn't done it for Quaker Dave and he has some weird facts, believe me. Go there and ask him for the Dimebag Darryl story. And we forgive him the guitars he built for the band members of the guy whose initials are TK.)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading these bits and pieces about individuals. Your personal trivia is especially interesting.

I really wish I'd learned how to play guitar. I guess there's still time, isn't there?

Suzy said...

DCup, there is still time -- one of my soapboxes is this: don't just be a music consumer, be a music maker (if it's something you want to do.) But I'll tell you also, being a beginner at anything in your forties is an extremely humbling experience. I like to think that it makes me a better teacher.

tweetey30 said...

Will get to it today sometime.i am just coming down from work and visiting blogs at this hour.

Fran said...

I loved reading this! It is always a gift to learn more about others that are special to us. (yes that would be you!)

I carry a poem too - Mary Oliver's The Summer Day.

I just did this because Ed tagged me!