Sunday, August 03, 2008

What I'm reading ..., pt. 2

I'm ba-a-a-ck!

I packed 4 books to take with me to Rock Island. No blockbusters, in the end wisely deciding that they simply weigh too much and are difficult to hold up for reading in the hammock. At the last minute I threw in 3 more, all Terry Pratchett books.

7 books? What was I thinking??? I ended up reading only 2! I read Wyrd Sisters by Pratchett, tried to read one of my other books (a novel by Peter S. Beagle, author of the cult classic The Last Unicorn) but got bored because he doesn't write like Terry Pratchett, and then read Witches Abroad by TP. I'm such a dork sometimes.

One year I'd like to try going to the island with just one book, or NO books (scary thought) and see what kind of entertainment I can make for myself. It's not as if there is nothing to do.

I should say that it feels good to be home, and it does, but I miss Rock Island. It is such a wonderful place. I have never put it to the test, but I think I could happily stay there for 2 weeks, pit toilets, hauling water, sleeping on the ground, and all. More on the week later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home you.

Suzy said...

Thank you, you.

Anonymous said...

That's right! Welcome home. Now I'm going to have to see about those Pratchett books.

Ed said...

Do you thank me (because you enjoy him so much) or curse me (because he's ruined almost all other authors for you) for introducing you to Terry Pratchett? Just curious.

poodledoc said...

So.....if you could only take the ONE book, what would you take? And don't say Moby Dick.

In other book news, I'm sure you are excited to hear that JK Rowling is coming out with a new book, this one penned by Hermione Granger. I can't wait. Well, actually I can.

Suzy said...

Gosh, Chuck. Difficult question ... I think it would be "The Wizard of Loneliness" by John Nichols (not our own John Nichols, a different author.) I never tire of reading it.

Ed, good question. If I curse you, Terry Pratchett has nothing to do with it, tee hee. I THANK YOU for introducing me to Terry Pratchett's books.