Sunday, March 04, 2007

On Wisconsin!

I'm proud to to publish this little news item today:

Doyle Turns Down $600,000 In Federal Abstinence Money

State Received Money Since 1997

POSTED: 1:35 pm CST March 3, 2007
Gov. Jim Doyle has directed the state to turn down about $600,000 in federal abstinence education money because new rules would limit how much recipients could talk about contraception or sexually transmitted diseases this year. Doyle directed the Department of Health and Family Services to notify federal authorities of his decision, according to department spokeswoman Stephanie Marquis. Wisconsin becomes one of a handful of states to reject receipt of the $50 million Title Five Abstinence Program for the current fiscal year. Wisconsin has received the money since 1997.Marquis said although the program's funding recipients had more discretion in making their own programs in the past, new rules this year require the programs to teach that sexual activity outside of marriage could have harmful physical and psychological effects. Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press


4 comments:

Ginnie said...

Hallelujia. A Governor who actually thinks. Wonderful.

Suzy said...

Hi, Ginnie. Glad to hear from you. Yes, it's nice to have an intelligent governor.

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's for real. I thought you were writing in sarcasm, so I kept combing through this thinking that I was missing something. That's refreshing. Thanks for pointing out a good deed. Maybe I'll move to your state.

Suzy said...

Wisconsin. We don't abstain ... from anything.