First, a birthday ...
EIGHTEEN!
I am the mother of an adult child as of today. I'm VERY proud of this daughter of mine, the one who first taught me how to be a mom. She is a smart, beautiful, immensely talented, and compassionate young woman. She has been a loving big sister/big cousin to 2 younger sibs and 4 younger cousins.
And I'm just a little bit choked up about it all. It has gone by too fast. I remember driving somewhere with her when she was an infant, and singing the Malvina Reynolds song "Turn Around" and crying because I knew she would grow up and leave me someday. And now, here we are.
And just to prove that the Universe works in very mysterious ways, the great grandmother for whom my daughter was named (my husband's grandmother) is at the end of her life, right now as I write this. She is just shy of 94 years old, and lived to see her namesake become an adult. She is expected to pass within the next 24 hours.
Here, she meets her (first) great grandchild for the first time, eighteen years ago today:
Life is a great big blessing.





5 comments:
Awesome pics. I have a nineteen year old son who will be 20 in June, so I know how this feels. I have a man in my house! Sort of...
Took two tries, but I finally posted it...
Oh Suzy, I am so sorry you are going through such a time of loss. Life is change isn't it and that is frightening and sad. I hope you find some solace during this difficult transitional time.
Wow Luminiferous Space Goo
This is a beautiful, really wonderous post. You are able to write in so many different styles. This is heartfelt and dear. I don't remember her being born, but I do remember biking out to Picnic Point with you two. She was in a bike seat and was very proud of the purple dinosaur on her helmet. I can't believe that it's time for her to be 18.
The photos are stunning.
Post a Comment