Sunday, March 25, 2007

Two Hundred 9/11s

I was having a hard time taming my monkey mind in Meeting today. At one point I was thinking, "William Penn ... Sean Penn. I wonder if he's a descendent? Haven't heard from Sean Penn recently ... I wish he'd speak out again." And so on.

And then I find on Huffington Post: An Open Letter to the President ... Four and a Half Years Later from Sean Penn.

You Misters Bush and Cheney; you Ms. Rice are villainously and criminally obscene people, obscene human beings, incompetent even to fulfill your own self-serving agenda, while tragically neglectful and destructive of ours and our country's. And I've got a question for your daughters Mr. Bush. They're not children anymore. Do they support your policy in Iraq? If they do, how dare they not be in uniform, while the children of the poor; black, white, Asian, Hispanic, and all the other American working men and women are slaughtered, maimed and flown back into this country under cover of darkness.

Now, because I've been on the streets of Baghdad during this occupational war, outside the Green Zone, without security, and you haven't; I've met children there. In that country of 25 million, these children have now suffered minimally, a rainstorm of civilian death around and among them totaling the equivalent of two hundred September 11ths in just four years of war. Two hundred 9/11s. Two hundred 9/11s. (Read the letter in its entirety here.)

Sean Penn speaks for me!

9 comments:

poodledoc said...

Good article. Wish Russ or Tammy would say stuff like this.

I particularly liked the line about the Anne Coulter's and their ilk: "you and the smarmy pundits in your pocket, those who bathe in the moisture of your soiled and bloodstained underwear, can take their noise and shove it". Angry? Yes. Poetic? yes. Well said, Sean. Just made a bumper sticker that says the deaths in the Iraq war equals 200 9/11's. Wow......

Suzy said...

Hey Doctor Poodle -- My printer isn't working and I'd love one of those bumper stickers. Would you be so kind as to make 2?

Suzie Ridler said...

Monkey Mind! I rarely hear that except from a TV yogi that I adore. I have a monkey mind for sure too.

See where it took you though? That's quite an intellectual and political monkey you have in your brain.

thailandchani said...

Sean also speaks for me in this case. I love his tinge of anger ~ and the forceful language that will cause people to raise their heads and listen. If even a little bit soaks in, that's a Good Thing.

Anne Coulter. (shudder). She needs to get a few good meals in her. She looks like a heroin addict. A good long period of therapy next. Never have I heard such a hateful human being.


Peace,

~Chani

Suzy said...

Ann Coulter, and her ilk -- how do people get to be like that? I teach kindergarten, and none of my students -- and some of them come from some pretty hard lives -- have ever seemed to be as emotionally bereft as she and her pundit pals are.

Hmmm ... Pundit Pals. I think I've figured out a way to make my gazillions! Bwahahahaha.

poodledoc said...

Pundit Pals? I like it! Yes, you could make millions. I think I'll go with my Congressional In-Action Figures line. I'm afraid they don't really DO much, but they look good wrapped in the flag......oh, and they don't have spines (or at least they don't have those little bendy wires that come in REAL action figures....)

Ed said...

Just needs a jingle...

See my Pundit Pal,
Lalalalala,
See my Pundit Pal storybook
and best of all... the secret friend!
Hey! I didn't get a secret friend!

Suzy said...

Ed, you know my secret shame! You're too cruel!!

Suzi-k said...

....he speaks for many of us in other parts of the world too! The entire globe has been polarised by this stupidity and it has ripple effects on all of us. Please note mr bush, when you are the leader of the world's biggest superpower, your stupid decisions do not only effect your nation. We all suffer the fall-out!