
The most striking thing about the terrible shooting last year in the Amish community was the fact that so many in that community, where they had just experience devastating loss, showed deep compassion for the family of the shooter. I am holding the family of Cho Seung-Hui in the light (as I am holding all of the families who lost someone in Monday's shooting) and hoping that they are being cared for, not vilified.
(The photo is a pictorial reference to the very lovely song Julian of Norwich by Sidney Carter:
Love like the yellow daffodil is blooming in the snow
Love like the yellow daffodil is lord of all I know
Ring out, bells of Norwich and let the winter come and go
All shall be well again, I know.)





4 comments:
We all need to do this. We all need to move from anger and cynicism to compassion, healing, and understanding. And maybe some activism.
I wrote about this yesterday.. the compassion factor in all of this. So often, that gets lost. The shooter wasn't created in a vacuum.
Peace,
~Chani
Hi Luminiferous
Thanks for this post. First of all, I love that song! I sang it every morning with June Tabor after Kathy died.
You are so right to have compassion for the shooter's family. I have shyed away from this story because it scares me just to look at his photo. I agree with Thailand Gal. There must be a long story of suffering and perhaps abuse that led up his madness.
I sang it a lot when I was pregnant with Grace. I didn't know that June Tabor recorded that song. I love June Tabor's voice. It's like a bottle of port and smoked gouda cheese.
I was pleased to see that at the Virginia Tech campus an impromptu shrine was made, that included a stone for the shooter.
Post a Comment