Thursday, April 12, 2007

So it goes.


“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’ ”

This quote hangs on the wall of an examining room in the clinic I go to. I love it. If my clinic were a subsidiary of the RAMJAC Corporation, it wouldn't be allowed. So it goes.

I'll miss you, Kurt Vonnegut.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't even have to look at the photo to know the news. His writing had such an effect on my world view. My two favorites were "Slaughterhouse 5" and "Breakfast of Champions." In high school I copied (by pen) an entire chapter of his writing into my journal. He lived on the east end of the island and always helped to judge an annual event encouraging young people to write vociferous essays. His wisdom will prevail, but still, I'm so glad to have lived in his time. Thanks for announcing the news.

Suzy said...

I reread "Slaughterhouse 5" a couple of years ago, on a quest to read the ALA's 100 most banned banned books. Amazing book. I recently read about the firebombing of Dresden (and other Allied atrocities of WW2.) Chilling.

poodledoc said...

Slaughterhouse 5. Great book. Good movie.

I'll miss you, Billy Pilgrim......

thailandchani said...

Cat's Cradle. One of the best I read by him. :)

Love the quote!


Peace,

~Chani

Anonymous said...

Is it my imagination or did The Book Thief remind you of something by Vonnegut, too?

I got here via Jess Wundrin who recommended The Book Thief after you reviewed it. I'm about to finish the audio book when I drive home from work tonight. I face it with wild anticipation and dread.

Thanks for recommending it.