I found this posted at Crooks and Liars today. It's a powerful song, from the wonderful album Writing in the Margins (which is the title of another song about the War on Iraq.) I was just listening to it this morning, coincidentally.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Now I'm crying. Wow, that video makes such good use of the medium, doesn't it. The three levels are a strange blend: shocking photos, simple lyrics, and a soft, almost forlorn voice. But it really works. It reframes the "war" -- occupation, invasion -- in terms so distant from the images that we see in the media. Unforgettable. I forwarded it to several people.
Powerful song. I hadn't heard it before. Thanks.
I really love this whole album. John Gorka offers the whole gamut from exuberant joy to poignancy and sorrow.
I watched the video again and was moved to tears. In my mind I contrast it to one that was making the rounds in early 2003 -- pre U.S. invasion and occupation, that was just snapshots of everyday Iraqi people set to Louis Armstrong's "Wonderful World."
These people did NOTHING to us, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. And our government opened the gates of Hell. When I stop to think about what it really means, the magnitude of the horror is unbearable.
Post a Comment