Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Abundance

Poodle Doc and I have both been reading Barbara Kingsolver's new book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. In fact, he bought it for me for my birthday. We keep comparing notes, and we're both a little obsessed with this idea of eating locally. So last Sunday after Meeting, when I casually mentioned that I really wanted to can tomatoes, he immediately offered up his share of tomatoes from the community garden of which he is a member.

After work today, Poodle Doc, Mr. Ether, and I drove out to his garden about half an hour out of town. We braved the mosquitoes -- oh my God, they were fierce, but my Repel Lemon Eucalyptus goop seemed to really work. (I was a little concerned that any marauding koalas might catch wind of us, and then we'd really be sorry, but they must have all been sleeping.) We harvested 5 bushels of tomatoes, plus a variety of both sweet and hot peppers, leeks, basil, eggplants, and a couple of tardy watermelons and cukes. Poodle Doc also generously gave us a portion of his onions and garlic for the year. It is truly an astounding amount of food.

Now comes the part that is both wonderful and difficult -- figuring out how to deal with it all. Making the time to make up a big batch of baba ganouj, roasting the peppers, making salsa ...

Yesterday Quaker Dave asked what each of us will do to end the current wars and prevent the next one. My answer was, "Can tomatoes." What I meant is, we need to do the protesting and the activism, but we also need to remember to find joy, to build our communities, to hold a vision of what we want the world to be and to work toward that. That's what I am doing as I celebrate this amazing abundance.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The koalas will find you yet, mark my words. Those bears are vicious.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

It's not very Quakerly but I love what ThreadingWater is doing to work out her anger with Donald Rumsfeld while canning tomatoes.

see here.

Suzy said...

Damn -- the sound wouldn't play! I think I got the gist of it though. I'll keep it in mind this Sunday.

poodledoc said...

That was really fun going out to pick and swat skeeters with you and Mr Ether last night. There's a social aspect to growing food that I really enjoy. People floating in abundance that comes from hard work, sweat, and a bit of luck (you know, the weather). Looking forward to canning. I hope we don't make tomato aspic, though. I just thought of that right now as I was typing. Being forced by my grandmother to eat tomato aspic was a horrible experience.......

Jess Wundrun said...

Hey, Suzy! Based on your recommendation I am also reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and I am loving it.

I have decided that since I am the host of our families Thanksgiving dinner this year (we rotate) my thanksgiving meal is going to be a 100 mile affair.

I may have to cheat on the flour for bread and pies, unless you guys have suggestions.

Maybe just a locally owned bakery?

And I am in the middle of tomatoes, too. Spaghetti sauce tomorrow!

Oh, and I was going to ask if you wanted to meetup at the farmer's market this weekend but I am guessing that your plate is full. Maybe next?

Suzy said...

For local flour, I would check with The Washington Hotel coffee shop on Lakeside Street (behind Lakeside Fibers.) They are an offshoot of a place on Washington Island in Door County, and I know someone is growing wheat on Washington Island because Capitol Brewery sells a wheat ale and I've driven past their fields.

I'm emailing you about getting together.