Thursday, September 06, 2007

Pavarotti Loves Elephants

Full disclosure: I don't consider myself to be much of a fan of opera. My dad loved opera. Every Saturday afternoon he listened to the broadcast from The Met, and it gave me a headache. He used to walk around the house in his long johns, humming parts of operas. All the time. It was embarrassing when I was an adolescent.

He took his unappreciative kids to see a good many performances. He especially loved Mozart and Gilbert & Sullivan. And actually, I do like The Magic Flute, The Marriage of Figaro, and Don Giovanni. And I like Lakmé by Delibes, but so does everybody else, right? It's like the Pachelbel Canon of opera.

I was even once in an opera, The Poacher by Albert Lortzing. The director of the university's opera company was also the director of my Unitarian church's children's choir, and The Poacher featured a children's choir. That was cool.

But what I'm really trying to say is, I was never a big fan of Pavarotti. But I am a fan of this video: http://www.rathergood.com/elephants/

I apologize that I couldn't embed it in my blog. You'll just have to see it the old-fashioned way.

4 comments:

Cinderbelle said...

"Elephants, yeah"? WHAT ABOUT THE VIKING KITTENS????!!! I'm very disappointed in you.

Suzy said...

Yeah, but Jimmy Page didn't die. Pavarotti did.

Ed said...

What about John Bonham? He's dead. You're going to have to link to the viking kittens, whether you like it or not!

Suzy said...

I am your overlord, and I say I shall not!