I spent it picking apples and making cider, an annual event at my Friends' Meeting. Poodle Doc will probably have some photos posted soon, because he's digital. Me, I'm still in the film age. I'm sure I have some good pictures rolled up in a little metal canister, but you probably won't be seeing them for awhile!
Anyway, cider making is another form of modern alchemy of which I am so fond (which is a funny way to think about it, since it's a process as old as time. Like making cheese, like knitting, like making soap, like all of those things.)
Anyway, it was a perfect fall day spent in good company doing something that feels real. We took the scenic route back to town, past llamas and Lamas (Deer Park Tibetan Buddhist Monastery is just outside of town.)
A balm for my soul.
Sunday, October 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
I liked what you said about cider making being a kind of alchemy.
a different and good way to look at the world.
Very poetic post. I liked the notion of alchemy. I think it's cool that you have film camera. Haven't seen one for a while. The only reason I have a digital camera is that a friend was very generous and gave me hers (she got a better one). But still, I have to learn a better way to manage my photos on my computer. I bet ou could give me some pointers
It's wonderful to imagine you outside in the fall weather with cider making going on. I'm happy today because we finally have some of that weather, and I'm going to make soup!
I'd love to know the difference between apple juice and apple cider, I guess the juice is more processed? At Halloween I get out my crockpot and fill it with apple juice (couldn't find cider) and added lemon and orange peels, cloves, cinnamon and allspice and it tasted like cider!
Cider making is also another form of modern microbiology. It's been more than 24 hours. Throw it out.
Sminthia -- Seriously? What risks are involved in drinking it? Is pasteurization the difference between cider and juice?
I thought I left a comment yesterday. Anyway, the cider should be fine (and starting to harden up) without pasteurization as long as you used picked apples, not drops or windfalls. Apples off the ground can have all sorts of nasties, esp. if the trees are in pastures...
(One of my young logger friends tells me that a wood chipper makes a very good apple grinder. Damn the tradition, full speed ahead!)
I've been drinking the cider and I haven't died ye
Ed, ha. Drink up!
Post a Comment