Saturday, October 06, 2007

Have You Hugged Your Librarian Today?

This is the trailer from a new documentary, Ann Seidl's The Hollywood Librarian. I posted this trailer last winter, in my early blogging days. I'm posting it again because I just got to see the film, and I highly recommend it.

The film juxtaposes popular film images of librarians with real librarians talking about their work, and it underscores the importance of free public libraries in a democratic society. Did I say important? Let me amend that: Essential. Libraries are essential.

The Hollywood Librarian made me want to stand up and cheer! And then cry, because the scope of the assault we are under and the magnitude of what we are losing -- what our children are losing -- at the hands of this administration, Congress, and festering ignorance of so many people, is so great.

I don't think this film has been released commercially, not yet. It premiered at the ALA convention this past summer (where else?) and is being screened in libraries and on college campuses across the country this week in recognition of Banned Books Week. Unfortunately, the web site doesn't list any other screenings after this week. Contact your local library or the filmmakers directly, to find out future plans for the movie.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I have a really good friend who is a reference librarian at a major library and several school librarian friends.

Librarians rule the world in my mind. I would love to see this film and will check it out.

Related to my comment at the post above this one, family outings to the library are memories of great joy for me. And remain so to this day!

Suzy said...

Welcome back, Fran! I wish I could say that Bush was impeached while you were away ...