Sunday, October 14, 2007

Scary Stuff, Yet ...

... I have to ask the question, "Why is Naomi Wolf pandering to the fear?" She says,
Before I go into the security lines, I find myself editing my possessions. In New York’s LaGuardia, I reluctantly found myself putting a hardcover copy of Tara McKelvey’s excellent Monstering, an expose of CIA interrogation practices, in a garbage can before I get in the security line; it is based on classified information. This morning at my hotel, before going to the airport, I threw away a very nice black T-shirt that said `We Will Not be Silenced’ — with an Arabic translation — that someone had given me, along with a copy of poems written by detainees at Guantanamo.
If, as she says,
The time for weeping has to stop; the time for confronting must begin.
then it must start with each one of us transcending our fear and saying, "No." We still have our constitution, even in a weakened and vulnerable state. We weaken it further when we meekly throw our rightful possessions into the garbage, in fear. We don't need book burnings when we are so willing to censor ourselves!

There are judges courageous enough to stand up to this administration, even if it means getting put on "a list." There are many citizens willing to put themselves out there.

Finally, we must increase our demand for this two-bit Congress to IMPEACH, NOW.


3 comments:

Suzi-k said...

this is quite startling.... it almost seems that the post 9-11 paranoia there has the same sort of "big brother is watching you" overtones as we had in aparheid South Africa. You are right, one must not pander to the fear, or it will empower the whole mis-use of power even more. Many white South Africans now regret not doing more to fight it, and it was because we were in such fear of the Special Police and what they did to "troublemakers." You cannot afford to let the powers that be in your country gain that kind of stranglehold.

Anonymous said...

If someone like Naomi Wolf is throwing away a perfectly good (and perfectly LEGAL) book, then the Forces of Darkness have indeed won the day.

And I hope I am in line behind her the next time she boards a plane, so I can pick her trash.

And buy her coffee. But that's another thread...

Jan said...

This points to my naivete or not? Is it only because of Naomi Wolf's celebrity status that she fears increased scrutiny? Am I being too innocent to think I could go through airport security reading anything I'd like or have any such items in my suitcase? It seems that she is overreacting, but I may be too unaware. I am shocked she would act this way, but it makes me wonder if she knows more than I do!!