Well, read this and find out:Pediatric resident Dipesh Navsaria has a novel way of measuring his young patients' development during checkups: He puts a book in their hands and watches their reaction.
Navsaria, a resident at American Family Children's Hospital, says the child's response speaks volumes. If the patient shows interest and curiosity, he can tell if books are a natural part of their life. At a certain age, if the child holds the book right-side up, opens it and turns the pages, the doctor gets a quick read on motor skills.
And if children begin talking about what they see in the book, Navsaria can see if they are building social skills.
"This is part of the tools we use to assess children's health," he said. "We want children to grow up and set habits and methods of learning that will carry them forward their entire lives. Read more ...
Early language and literacy is one of my [many] soapboxes. It's been pretty widely talked about how reading to a child for 20 minutes a day makes a world of difference in their literacy learning, but another huge disparity that I've come across is between kids who are talked to and those who aren't. It shouldn't be any surprise that the kids who are talked to/with have a larger vocabulary, a larger bank of conceptual knowledge, better social skills, etc. etc. By the time I get my students, they are already 5 years old and some of them have a lot of language catch-up to do.
This is soooooo exciting!
(One aside: If you read the entire article, you will see that this guy not only is not only a doctor, but he took a break from med school to get a masters in library science, plus he holds a master's degree in public health. Oh yeah, and he's married with a couple of kids. Can you say overachiever? It exhausts me, just thinking about it. But I love him anyway.)





14 comments:
Wow, I did NOT need to know that my mother is turned on by doctors who read to children.
I think I may have a little guy crush on him myself.
Oh, puhleez. Now you're ganging up on me!
I'm too old, but I wish he could be my doctor.
(p.s. I think blogger has restored an enigma machine to generate these verification words.)
I recall giving Poodledoc, Jr books to look at and chew as soon as he could hold them. People would say things like "why are you giving him a book, when he can't read?" Thanks for the article.
I am so glad and grateful that someone is looking at this in young children. Reading is so very important.
Ah, so Poodle Doc Jr. digested books. I always knew there was something special about him. Thank heavens you didn't give him Dr. Goat to chew on. We gave our children cookbooks, because there were so many stirring passages. (Ar ar ar.)
Oh, and Cinderbelle? You've got that wrong. It's LIBRARIANS that turn me on, only in a cerebral sense. I'm actually a little put off by doctors. And the bow tie? It's got to go!
Luminiferous
I love this post! Like you, I have a passion for questions of literacy and just general language acquisition. This word is over-used, but I have to say that he is just brilliant to braid the various disciplines together.
When I worked with children whose families had no homes, we were all struck with their unfamiliarity with books. The social workers tried to get the moms to read to their babies, infants, children, but other things took precedence.
Seriously, you make me want to take a class in literacy. Maybe I'll buy a bow tie and apply to medical school.
I like the bow tie.
no, this is way cool.
I thought of being a librarian once.
What a great place for parents to get an idea that they need to catch up, or get the help needed to catch up. Sometimes I think they believe that school will take care of it.
And if they start early enough, they're not even catching up, you know? I think that parents, particularly very young parents, don't realize how powerful it is in terms of learning, to converse with their babies. They get caught up in the "good baby=sleeping baby" thing, and probably also feel dumb talking to someone who doesn't talk back. And yes, Jess, I think they believe that school will take care of it.
Wow- this is a notion I love. A doctor and a librarian.
Wow.
That's all I can say.
Post a Comment