Friday, October 12, 2007

What's In Your Drawers?

Kindergarten is many things, but it is never boring.

Yesterday I went into our little housekeeping corner, not realizing I was walking into the scene of a birth! One child was on the floor while another child extracted a baby doll (feet first -- ouch) from underneath her fancy ball gown. Two other children stood by to assist. I felt strangely embarrassed, like I was witnessing something terribly intimate that was not intended for my eyes. I actually excused myself and turned away.

Every day when I drop my students off in the lunchroom -- after I've opened the milk cartons and lunch packs, and made sure everyone has a spork -- amid many last minute hugs, waves and blown kisses (after all we'll be separated for the next 30 minutes) I wish them "Bon Appetit" and beat a hasty retreat to the sanctuary of the teachers' lounge. One day as I was leaving a child called out, "You have a bon appetit too!"

And today a child confided to me, "I have dookie in my drawers."

I'll end this post with a blessing: May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, and may your drawers stay dookie-free all weekend.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Suzy, thanks for a glimpse into your world and that of the children. Your blessing for the day is cute and sweet at the same time--dookie-free drawers! Thanks for the smiles.

poodledoc said...

Dookie? I like that! Thanks for sharing the joy that you get from your work.

Anonymous said...

I wish i had read your blessing earlier. It's too late for me now, oh well.