Monday, June 02, 2008

Still Reading

Anya Seton was the daughter of Boy Scouts founder Ernest Thompson Seton, and a bestselling author in her own right. She published 14 novels, mostly historical fiction featuring strong female protagonists. I went through a heavy duty Anya Seton phase in my late teens. I think it was her books that gave me an appetite for historical fiction and history in general. For many years I have been somewhat embarrassed about my love affair with Seton's novels, which are unabashedly romantic. When I found The Winthrop Woman at St. Vinnie's for $1.00 I bought it more for nostalgic reasons than anything else. I expected that rereading it as a slightly more mature adult, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much as I had so many years ago. Boy, was I wrong!

First of all, Anya Seton is an excellent writer. I find that the best plot in the world won't hold my interest if the writing is clumsy, but her writing flows very naturally through narrative and dialogue. In addition, she was reputed to be a meticulous historical researcher who strove for authenticity in all details of her novels.

The Winthrop Woman tells the story of Elizabeth Fones, niece (and later daughter-in-law) of the Puritan John Winthrop, first governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. From early childhood on, Elizabeth was feisty and independent. A childhood act of rebellion that led to a beating at her uncle's hand led her to a lifelong questioning of the existence of God. Her absolute refusal to acquiesce to the religious beliefs of her Puritan family was a thorn in Governor Winthrop's side (his extensive papers contain numerous references to his rebellious niece) and caused Elizabeth a great deal of hardship throughout her life.

By all accounts, Elizabeth was an extraordinary woman for her time. She was widowed at age 21, divorced her second husband after coping with his increasing madness for many years, and married for a third time at the ripe old age of 36. She was a landowner, at one time owning the largest tract of land in what was to become Connecticut. She befriended Ann Hutchinson, the religious rebel who was banished from Massachusetts for her teachings. She incurred the wrath of the British colonies when she allied herself with the Dutch, and later found herself caught in the political crossfire between the two. She also appeared to be in sympathy with the Indian nations, which were quickly being vanquished and eradicated.

Of special interest to me is the possibility that Elizabeth may have been a Quaker. In a comment about this book at the Powell's website, one reader identified himself as a descendant of Elizabeth and claimed that she was a founder of the first Quaker meeting on Long Island. In Seton's book, she describes a mystical experience close to the end of Elizabeth's life that struck me as particularly Quakerly. Moreover she describes a visit from a "Baptist" who attributed his spiritual awakening to hearing George Fox (the founder of the Religious Society of Friends.)

This book may be 50 years old, but the language and sensibility is as fresh as most modern writing. A word about the romance: have no fear, there are neither heaving bosoms nor throbbing members. It is tasteful without being prudish.

Highly recommended if you enjoy historical fiction.

(By the way, is anyone else bothered by this trend of decapitating women on the covers of recently published historical fiction? If you don't know what I mean, go to your local bookstore and check out the novels of, for instance, Philippa Gregory. What gives?)

1 comment:

Sminthia said...

Here's someone who was wondering the same thing you were, about decapitation and all:

http://notesfromtheslushpile.co.uk/2008/05/do-teens-really-prefer-their-books.html