People of the Book opens in the spring of 1996, shortly after the Bosnian war ended. The hiding place of the Sarajevo Haggadah has been revealed. The United Nations, anxious to put the memory of the ethnic cleansing behind them (and possibly to distract from the fact that their inaction -- and that of the world's leading powers -- led to the genocide) wants to put the Haggadah back on display as soon as possible, as a show of the racial and cultural unity that historically flourished in the region. They hire Hanna Heath, an Australian specialist in the conservation of ancient manuscripts, to inspect the book as well as to write about it for a catalog that will accompany the exhibit. During her inspection, Hanna finds artifacts within the manuscript's pages, which she hopes will unlock some of the mysteries of its origins.
Part art history, part Bosnian history, part thriller -- this was an absolutely compelling book to read. Brooks used each artifact that Hanna found in the book to tell the story of how one part of the book came to be: Why were there such beautiful illuminations, extremely rare for a Hebrew text? How did the book survive the fires of the Inquisitors? How did it come to be in Sarajevo? Why were people compelled to save this particular text over the course of a turbulent five centuries?
Entwined with the story of the Haggadah is Hanna Heath's own turbulent story and, I can't help but think, a condemnation of the kind of extremism that can lead to genocide. Brooks was not heavy-handed about pointing it out, but 1996 was not that long ago and there are plenty of situations happening now that are reminiscent of the past. I found this passage to be particularly revealing. It is a discussion about the Haggadah between Hanna and another book conservator:
"It's still doing what it was meant to do, or it will be, as soon as it goes into the museum. It was made to teach and it will continue to teach. And it might teach a lot more than just the Exodus story."This was an excellent book. I highly recommend it.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, from what you've told me, the book has survived the same human disaster over and over again. Think about it. You've got a society where people tolerate difference, like Spain in the Convivencia, and everything's humming along: creative, prosperous. Then somehow this fear, this hate, this need to demonize 'the other' -- it just sort of rears up and and smashes the whole society. Inquisition, Nazis, extremist Serb nationalists ... same old, same old. It seems to me the book, at this point, bears witness to all that."





3 comments:
Sounds like a great book.
How I love your thoughtful and well put reviews.
I just put a copy on reserve at my library via the online system; it is out at the moment.
Hi Suzy!
My book club just discussed this book on Thursday. I really enjoyed your summary! I was finishing the book on my way to where we were meeting (no I wasn't driving). The driver parked outside and I had to stay in my seat to be able to savor the ending. I'm very impressed by Geraldine Brooks' layered storytelling in all three of her novels.
Hope summer is treating you well. :)
Rosy
Rosy!
Summer is great. 3 more weeks and I will apply for my Librarian's license, yahoo!
I hope yours is going well too. Let's get together for coffee or something.
Post a Comment