Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Book Reviews (Part 2)

The second book I read this week was Inside Out Gardening: 10 New Gardening Rules by Terry Hollembaek. This is a little self-published book written by a guy who lives here in Southwestern Wisconsin. Last Friday, the in-laws (mother and sister) and I drove out to his farm, Nancy's Meadow Herbs. My goal? To buy one lemon verbena plant.

Needless to say, we returned with the entire back of the car filled with plants. (Being the end of the planting season, they were anxious to get rid of their tender annuals, like basil, and gave them to us at no cost. Very nice.) Terry and his wife have the most amazing gardens, and a compelling philosophy about landscaping -- hence the book!

This is not a glitzy, eye-candy gardening book. It has no illustrations whatsoever. In fact, employing a copy editor might have been a good idea. But if you want your yard to be an extension of your indoor living space, but you don't have a ton of time or money, and you aren't sure whether you have the know-how either, this may be the book for you. In person, and in his writing, Terry is a fun-loving, interesting fellow who loves plants and the outdoors, and hopes you'll love them too. (He also loves folk music, community radio, Renaissance fairs, birds,
kids ...)

The book is $12 + shipping, and available here.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Oh! I just heard about this book and I want to read it.

It sounds amazing.

One of the gifts of unemployment (see there is an up side to everything) is that I have the time to partake in free activities... Like walking in the woods near my house.

It has been so transformative for me to be in nature like this. Add to that it helps me deal with some of the depression that I feel about this situation.

So nature deficit disorder is important to address... especially for kids, but for adults too.

Thank you dearest Suzy.