Monday, July 14, 2008
More on "Human Smoke"
A comment from Quaker Dave on my last post led me to look up some of the major reviews of Human Smoke. The first one I read was originally published in the LA Times, and is by author Mark Kurlansky (who wrote the superb book Nonviolence: History of a Dangerous Idea.) You can read it here. For the record, the NY Times reviewer didn't like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Suzy, thanks for the links.
Kurlansky's review looks good. I googled the NY Times reviewer. Seems he is mostly employed by the Times as their obit writer. As we've seen with the recent deaths of Tony Snow and Tim Russert, obit writers are probably the last people who should voice their opinion on history. Grimes is practically paid to polish turds everyday.
I have Mark Kurlansky's Big Oyster on audiotape. It is the history of oyster farming in the United States, particularly around New York. He also wrote Salt, which GWBush used to carry around that summer he tried to get everyone to believe he liked to read, remember?
Not to mention Cod and The Basque History of the World, both of which are good books. I don't think The Moron even pretended to read those ones.
Thanks for taking the time to read the reviews and weigh in.
Post a Comment