
You might be concerned that I haven't posted a book review in a few days. I actually read a novel written for children, Seer of Shadows by Avi, but I wasn't particularly moved to write about it one way or another. Then I started the novel London by Edward Rutherfurd, a massive tome whose story spans from pre-Christian times to the end of the twentieth century. It is very much in the sweeping writing tradition of James Michener. I'm not even halfway through it. We leave tomorrow on our trip, part of which involves 2 ferry rides. Hope the boats don't sink under the weight of it (plus I also have Pillars of Stone by Ken Follett! I'm catching up on my epic bestsellers.)





6 comments:
Have fun, especially reading!
I'll be interested to hear your take on "Pillars of Stone"...I thought it was way over hyped.
I read Pillars of Stone a long time ago, when it first came out and loved it.
I had a borders gift card and decided to dive in again, as I have wanted to reread it. It is such a long thing I knew it was now or never because once I start school in the fall, pleasure reading will slow.
About 150 pages in and I can understand what Ginnie says, but I do love the notion of history.
Enjoy your travels. I could not get started on London, you make me want to try again, but it will be awhile.
That's not the half of it; I also have Paris: The Secret History! What's gotten into me?
And thank you all for the good wishes. Right now we're in the "I don't really want to go. Let's just stay home" mode. It will be fine, but it's always so stressful getting off. Doesn't help that I student taught through today. (But now I'm done. Yay!)
I, too, am looking forward to your take on Pillars of Stone. A swimming pool mom recommended it, but I've been a little hesitant.
Another pool mom recommended a book I'm listening to right now that is dull dull dull. It makes me think the woman who recommended it is a moe-ron.
On the other hand, I've done my share of recommending (The Book Thief to everyone I know)so perhaps other moms are thinking I'M the moron.
It wouldn't be the first time!
Have fun on vacay.
Post a Comment