Friday, August 08, 2008

Delicious!

I'm not like some of my blogging friends -- Dr. Monkey and Sacred Suzie, for example -- who can cook fabulous meals and document the process in lovely photographs. I am usually running around the kitchen like a chicken with my head cut off because I started preparing dinner later than I wanted to and everyone is hungry. Still, I'm a pretty good cook, I almost always cook from scratch, and this time of year I love the availability of wonderful, locally grown produce. Yum.

A few days ago I bought a nice baguette intending to make garlic bread, but I forgot that I had it and by yesterday it was as hard as a baseball bat. What to do? I know -- make Tuscan bread salad!

I used this recipe adding steamed string beans (yellow and green), red and yellow carrots, tomato, LOTS of garlic, plus diced cheese and salami. It was kind of like a sandwich all chopped up in a bowl, now that I think about it. Colorful, tasty, and I believe that everything was locally grown/made.

Organic Valley is a good source for recipes and their UHT milk in single servings is a godsend on camping trips. However, I was very disappointed with the revelation last month that they were purchasing a portion of their milk from a corporate "organic" "farm" in Texas. The CEO of OV was largely unapologetic. It reminded me a little bit of how the CEO of Urban Outfitters went from being a counter-culture "hippie" type to one of Rick Santorum's biggest supporters. Hope that's not what's in store for Organic Valley, which has been a boon to the little town of LaFarge, Wisconsin.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That salad sounds good, when do we eat?

Suzy said...

Just finished it up for breakfast. You'll have to make your own -- and take pictures while you're at it!

poodledoc said...

I heard about the Organic Valley thing. It was complicated, but the guy was stupid for sure. I guess it discourages me now that the USDA and others are diluting the term "organic" anyway. I'm still buying the stop.

Suzy said...

We are mostly buying Blue Marble milk, which is not yet certified organic, but is from a family farm in Barneveld where the cows are grass fed. It's pricey, that's for sure. We buy cheese from Farmer John, but our butter is from Organic Valley. I suspect that the farmers themselves will put pressure on OV to do the right thing.

Linda said...

Yum, that bread salad sounds great. I've made one with tomatoes and a balsamic dressing, never thought about veggies and salami.