Please go over to Quaker Dave's and read this excellent post about bullying.
Our daughter was bullied by kids in our neighborhood when she was a preschooler. At one point we considered moving, because it was so painful. When confronted, the parents said our child simply needed to 'buck up.' One parent had the audacity to tell me that some kids just have "victim personalities" implying that it was her fault from birth! How can anyone be so cruel to a 3-year old?
She's 19 now, and just the other day she was talking about it. Although she is a beautiful, talented young woman, the experience left permanent scars. Sometimes I wonder if we did enough to protect her. I know that if it were happening now, I would take a much more proactive stance as her advocate. Bullying is never OK and it is not the fault of the victim. Period.
Friday, August 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I read that post and I agree. I am so sorry that your daughter had to go through this.
It is an outrage that makes me want to cry and scream to blame the kid in some fashion.
So wrong!
I think that a lot of people would believe that physical bullying is an outrage, but they don't understand the pain of psychological and emotional bullying -- or even recognize it as such. My sweet girl is forgiving, but she says she doesn't trust the adults involved (whom we still see; some of them were/are relatives.)
You know, I debated writing about this; my brother sometimes reads my blog. I guess if he does, and recognizes himself, so be it. I love him, but I don't like what he did.
Glad you and Dave posted about this. My daughter, who is almost 19, was bullied for her third grade year. It influenced her teacher not to like her, and MJ had always been the teachers' favorites till then. MJ grew through that experience, and unfortunately the girl who had bullied her continues to be a nasty person. But it wasn't bullying to the extreme that is becoming more and more prevalent.
Glad you and Dave posted about this. My daughter, who is almost 19, was bullied for her third grade year. It influenced her teacher not to like her, and MJ had always been the teachers' favorites till then. MJ grew through that experience, and unfortunately the girl who had bullied her continues to be a nasty person. But it wasn't bullying to the extreme that is becoming more and more prevalent.
Post a Comment