If you think I've been strangely quiet recently, have no fear. I've been getting ready for school. My classroom has 5 closets, loosely organized by subject areas (math closet, language arts closet, toys & games closet, dress up clothes ....) For the last 2 years -- since I've been in this classroom -- I've basically been throwing things into them willy-nilly, plus I have boxes of "teaching materials" (what other people refer to as "crap") that I've hauled around since the beginning of time. At the end of each school year I have to put everything away, so back in June I basically stuffed the closets full and slammed the doors before anything could ooze back out. Out of sight, out of mind ... until August.
Last week and this I decided to clear out and organize, one closet at a time. I've done 3 of the 5 closets, I've weeded my personal book collection of all the old ugly falling apart books and books that are just not appropriate for kindergarten (Valley of the Dolls had to go), and I feel so much lighter!
I gave an extensive collection of storybooks-on-tape away to the school book room, so that everyone can use them. And I'm considering putting away all the dress-up clothes, except for shoes, aprons, and purses -- figuring that then the kids will have to use their imaginations a little more. (Besides I got so tired of everyone fighting over the pink tutu.)
I still have to cover my bulletin boards and put up a few subversive posters. I have to move in the contraband mini-fridge. I keep wondering if anyone will notice if I take down the American flag and hide it.
Then I just have to plan for the first day on Tuesday, and we'll be up and running.
Blogging may be slim.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





12 comments:
Wow, you guys start school late up there.
No, you guys start early.
We used to start earlier, but ex-Gov. and presidential hopeful Tommy Thompson (remember him?) got his tools -- the legislature -- to pass a law that nobody could start until after Labor Day. That was to help out his friends in the tourism industry who needed their child labor force to stick around.
I don't mind so much, but it gets a little tiresome on the other end, when we go until mid-June.
You mean Valley of the Dolls is not about dolls?
Sorghum -- I know, disappointing, isn't it?
What happened to the copy of A Clockwork Orange? That was always a popular one with your kindergarteners.
I gasped when I read that about VOTD... However, I ran into the other room, checked my DVD copy, which is still there and I felt better. Phew!
Sounds like you have been busy and with good things.
Sending you good thoughts for good things!
We start school next week too... Stepdaughter goes in on Wed for first day of 7th grade.
Stepmother starts grad school course on Monday 9/8.
I hope you're keeping your Boxcar Children autographed set! Got any spare boxcars in your closets?
Take your time blogging. Teaching isnt an easy job. But sounds like you have it under control.
Thanks everybody. Fran -- you have the dvd of Valley of the Dolls? Can I borrow it to show on day 2? Ed -- ditto with A Clockwork Orange. First we read the book. Then we tie it into a creative project and watch the movie. Chuck -- my kinders are SO beyond The Boxcar Children. Tweetey -- I never believe that I have it under control, but in reality, you're right. I do. We are beginning a new school year with GB's former superintendent. He is a breath of fresh air!
Suzy: You are never trulye "beyond" the Boxcar children. LOL
That is good busy! I hope the coming school year is a good one.
PoodleDoc -- I am SO looking forward to a meal prepared out of The Boxcar Children Cookbook ... said Benny.
Post a Comment