Powell also spoke passionately against the insinuations by some Republicans that Obama is a Muslim.
"Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim, he's a Christian. He's always been a Christian," he said. "But the really right answer is, what if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president? Yet, I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, 'He's a Muslim and he might be associated terrorists.' This is not the way we should be doing it in America." Read the rest.
He said something there that not enough people have in this post 9/11 world. He may not always do what I think is the honorable or courageous thing, but I am aware that there are many many people who see him as some kind of a beacon, and the fact that he said this is huge. I thank him for that.





13 comments:
I thank him, too.
He'll always be a douchebag to me.
Well, yes, Dr. Monkey. But at least today he was a douchebag who did the right thing.
Yes, today he did the right thing.
Too bad he didn't do the right thing the day he lied in front of the entire world at the Un, and helped to move this country to war.
I respect the words he said today.
I have, however, lost all respect that I ever had for him.
It is never too late in my eyes, to start doing the right thing.
That is what I saw today.
I agree. He did the right thing. That's worth something. If it brings more votes in for Obama, it's definitely worth something.
Dave, I completely agree. he has been the water bearer for the Bush Admin for too long to be redeemed by this one act. But I am still glad that he has done this.
I like what Franiam says. He's started doing the right thing maybe.
I'm ttroubled by the anger and hatred in the comments above. Yes, the man has done some reprehensible things. But, I believe that humans have the ability to change. And as a Quaker, I believe there is that of God in everyone. By allowing some space for someone to change, and maybe to heal, we give ourselves space at the same time. Spewing hatred, whether from the right of left doesn't do much for me......None of us are exactly perfect......and I like what he said. It's important. People CAN change. Isn't that what Obama is saying?
When I heard about this endorsement, and then watched the video, I felt such relief. It felt good, however brief. And I know two people now who say they'll vote for Obama because of this (both Republicans).
But I don't know, poodledoc. Do you really think change is possible in the huge amounts it is needed?
It's a completely whacked out and crazy world we've all put together. I don't feel much hope about any of this even if the next administration belongs to Obama. I can't summon up any kind of anger or judgment about Powell or even the crazy woman right below here, Ms. Bachmann. I'm afraid I just don't have a lot of faith in the species at the moment. I feel resigned to rampant stupidity and fucked-up priorities and things falling apart. Maybe I'm tapping into the great zeitgeist of depression and decline.
But I did enjoy that Powell moment when he talked about the Muslim-American kid dreaming about being president.
There, I ended positive. Good girl.
Well, I didn't really hear any spewing of hatred in the above comments. I still think he has been and is a cowardly man, even now waiting to see which way the wind is blowing before making his endorsement. Still, I'm glad that he did make an endorsement. I don't think I'm glad that Obama says there will be a role for him in his administration.
Regarding "that of God in everyone" I can't believe that gives a pass to people who do bad things. Colin Powell helped lie us into war, and too many people have lost their lives, a country ha been wrecked, etc. etc. I certainly don't condone retribution, but I would like to see the Bush Administration brought to justice, and that includes Powell.
As far as anger and hatred, name calling (douchebag) and dehumanizing comments don't help. When we do that, are we not becoming more like the people whose actions we despise? What's the point of calling someone a douchebag? Powelll has MUCH to answer for, but we'll never know every bit of his story. That's no excuse or a "free pass". And I'll never know every bit of your story and why you do what you do.
Suzy, for me "that of God in everyone" definitely does NOT give a "free pass" to anyone. To me it means, I engage with that part of them, if possible. (often impossible, I grant you) I'm not very good at that but I'm trying. So, if someone is perpetrating a crime, that person needs to receive the consequences that are due. And yes, impeachment should have happened. I just feel that we can give up too much of our humanity by dwelling so much on the negative, on our anger (justified or not). When I spend that much energy on anger, not only am I taking energy AWAY from the small positives I can make in the world, I then find myself sinking into a depressive state. No, I'll never be able to sit down with Bush or Cheney and "engage" them. But it means that when I meet someone on the street who's wearing a McCain button, I try not to instantly categorize them as a right wing nut. I might disagree strongly, but they are human. And as Terry mentioned about her republican friends, people can make changes in
ways that surprise us. And in hopeful directions.
Yes, Terry, I think change is possible in the huge amounts needed. It won't happen as fast as we would like it, we won't live to see our desires met in terms of change. Everything in this world is out of my control and the whole world is out of control. Many days it's hard to face that. Like every day. But I only can control my own actions. Sometimes my actions are positive and sometimes not.
Hmmm. It was a monkey who made the dehumanizing comments FWIW. And the man that's behind the monkey doesn't deserve to be spanked because he called someone a name. A little levity?
That said, the comments here make me wonder about Colin Powell, who I always liked - particularly when he chose not to run for president because it would have been too hard on his wife. If you compare that with the blind ambition of one Alaska Granny who'd say and do anything to get her red pumps inside the White House then I've got a lot of respect for Powell.
I listened live as he gave his speech before the UN and my jaw hung open. I really had expected more of him. The discussion here prods me to wonder what his motivation was for presenting a lie to the world. I wonder what ends were in his mind that justified his means.
Of all the tell-all books, his would be the one I would be most interested in.
And of course now he has drawn the ire of the right wing lunatic fringe. (That's name-calling, I know, but I can't think of anything else to call them).
I look at "douchebag" as being Dr. Monkey being Dr. Monkey. I certainly don't want to dismiss every individual wearing a McCain button as something unmentionable -- I agree that name calling like that is unproductive. But I'm angry, I want my country back, and it is so puzzling to me how people can be duped by someone like John McCain (or George Bush.) You're right, Chuck, those are people who it is worth engaging with, even if they think their minds are made up. They are human.
Post a Comment